recommend glue for dustcap replacement with ceramic cones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Dan337 is offline Dan337  United States
diyAudio Member

Default recommend glue for dustcap replacement with ceramic cones

Hey all, first post.

I have a set of Infinity Alpha 40's that I picked up recently, and while I love the sound, one of the dustcaps popped off! It came off one of the woofers which uses, according to the website, a cermaic cone.

How cautious do I need to be with the glue that I choose to reattach? In my ignorance, I'm concerned about contaminating the coil with something harsh like an epoxy, and uncertain of how well something like rubber cement would work.

Many thanks in advance from this newbie hoping to fix this cheap with easy to find glue!

dc

I recognize searching is important as I'm subscribed to at least 10 forums, but I wasn't able to find a specific answer, so I ask for your help. Apologies in advance if this subject has been covered at length and I didn't use the correct terms search under.
Old 23rd January 2004, 01:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

to be honest i doubt that any epoxy your gonna be buying will penetrate the ceramic and go down to the voice coil. My main concern right off the top of my head would be how adherable is the ceramic surface, unlike paper or even plastic cones where the epoxy can saturate and grab on. Ceramic is often smooth, but are you talking about the CCMD or whatever cones, arn't they like a composite or something.

As long as there is a descently rough surface or fiber to adhere to, some superglue or something that donest't require alot of mass, but has good glueing capabilities should work fine.

Rubber cement may require too much mass to be as reliable as OEM.
Old 23rd January 2004, 08:46 PM   #3
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Why not try your sales or factory repair source?

You concievably could buy a small amount of the factory specified material from the wholesaler/reconer.

If you were able to achieve this you likely would retain better resale value.

This is the sort of thing that they might not have, might charge $25.00 for ( I wouldn't pay it), or might just give you.

Probably wouldn't be _free_ but I have certainly had pleasantly surprising experiences in the past where it was _big grin_

Or they might say, hey just go to Lowe's and buy Loc-tite 237Au - that's what we do. ( I made up that Loc-tite #)

Just a thought from someone that is obsessive compulsive and picky as heck _bigger grin_

FWIW. I think the weight of what you use might play into this, along with the method of application.

Regards

Ken L

Hide this!Advertise here!