Need help with wood working - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2004, 05:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with wood working

I am planning to build a sub enclosure which uses internal braces with circles cut out. I have a rotozip in which I can use to cut the circles out but I need to know how to round the edges like this picture. I think I need a router with a round-over bit but what else do I need? A router table? How do I keep it so that it routes the circle perfectly? I don't free hand it do I? Is there a tool that can do this for me? Also how to I flush mount my drivers? What tool do I use to do this? Please let me know. Thank you.
-Ed
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd January 2004, 07:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
You do not need a router table for this operation.

You need a router, the correct router bits, and a special circle-cutting jig. These can be found at Parts Express, or you can hack one up from acrylic for less $ and more time.

My dad and I make speaker cutouts with this method (an acrylic circle-cutting router jig) and it works very, very well. Used with the roundover bit, the end result is very pro.

Good luck to you!
Old 22nd January 2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Check this thread out, and this one.

A couple of points. Firstly, there is no [real] functional advantage of making your bracing holes pretty, rounded over, or even very neat - unless you plan on being able to see through the cabinet walls.

Secondly, the recess for flush mounting in the second pic is simply two pieces of wood with different diameter cutouts. I use a router set to the required plunge depth and the circle cutting jig to make the recess more accuratly. Alternatively you could use a rabbeting bit.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 22nd January 2004, 08:37 AM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have only just got my Rotozip so am prepared to be corrected but it seems to me that it has a limited cutting depth (around 6mm).
Old 22nd January 2004, 11:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A simple trimmer (non-plunging router) tool works fine here. The router bits used have a ball bearing on the end of the bit which guides the tool around the hole. You can get bevelled, stepped, curved bits etc to produce the required profile - and it can all be done by hand quickly and accurately.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2004, 12:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash
A couple of points. Firstly, there is no [real] functional advantage of making your bracing holes pretty, rounded over, or even very neat - unless you plan on being able to see through the cabinet walls.

Secondly, the recess for flush mounting in the second pic is simply two pieces of wood with different diameter cutouts.
Nice.

I didn't even notice that was a brace board in the first, and you definently caught that second one.

I have seen the second method several times. Very effective and cheap. Two layers together is stronger that one solid piece of same thickness, plus no special tools required.
Old 22nd January 2004, 05:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Centauri
A simple trimmer (non-plunging router) tool works fine here. The router bits used have a ball bearing on the end of the bit which guides the tool around the hole. You can get bevelled, stepped, curved bits etc to produce the required profile - and it can all be done by hand quickly and accurately.

Cheers
This sounds like exactly what I am looking for. My question is, can I use a plunging router to do this same thing? Can I turn a plunge router to a edge trimmer? Can the ball bearing bits used on a trimmer be used on a plunge router to do the same thing? Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 22nd January 2004, 05:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes.
Old 22nd January 2004, 05:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well my dad and I also use the same method! perspex thingy made for the purpose. HOwever for xmas he got a circle cutter which is increadible easy to use and adjust, ive just used that today to rebate driver cut outs and its a doddle to use.
Old 22nd January 2004, 06:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappylady
You do not need a router table for this operation.

You need a router, the correct router bits, and a special circle-cutting jig. These can be found at Parts Express, or you can hack one up from acrylic for less $ and more time.

My dad and I make speaker cutouts with this method (an acrylic circle-cutting router jig) and it works very, very well. Used with the roundover bit, the end result is very pro.

Good luck to you!
Hey Nappy, and templates or instructions for how to make this router jig? can it be done with 1/4" MDF? I am veyr interested in doing this to save 30+ bucks.

Hide this!Advertise here!