JBL Summit 300L - Mod them or sell them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of JBL Summit 300L that were given to me by a friend.

They are much to big to use in my current HT set up. Could I remove the Tweeter & midrange from both speakers and make two smaller units & then take one woofer and make a sub?

or should I just sell them?

My current system consist of 5 NHT Super Zeros and a Velodyne 70 watt sub. It worked great in my old home because the room was alot smaller, but now I feel the sub and main speakers may be too small.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Do not part them out. Sell them whole if you must. They are not that big as I use a pair in my apartment. As complete units you should get 2K selling them. As parts you will not see 2K. With a tube amplifier my JBL L300 Summit speakers are about as good as it gets. The midrange horns make them a joy to listen to. They were used and are still used as studio monitor speakers in some recording studios. I paid $500 for my pair a few years ago. I rented a truck and I drove across MA to pick them up sight unseen. The seller was the bass player from the 70's band Duke and the Drivers. He just wanted them to go to a good home to someone like me who would enjoy them, and use them daily. He actually had people trying to offer him less than 500 for the pair. Sell them intact with the provision that the buyer will pay crating and shipping/freight costs. There are pro pack and ship companies that do this for reasonable rates. BAX has good prices on shipping to and do other air freight companies. Why not just keep them? They will only go up in value over time.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Z,

If you're feelin' DIYish, you might think about something like I did in this thread . You wouldn't have to use 2 mid-bass drivers, and you could mount all the drivers in the same box of about the same size (a little deeper to accomodate the horn). You would have to change the x-over arrangement. I would also expect the JBL 136 woofers to be much better WRT extension, efficiency, and quality then the Velodyne.

You have a lot of potiential sitting there. You could have the ultimate front channel HT speakers. For more tip on JBL equipment, you can also try this forum for JBL nuts.

Thanks for the input guys.

It kills me, but I’ll probably just sell them. I should have planned out the room better, but I ‘m just out of space to fit that size speaker. A pair sold on E-bay yesterday for $2,425
http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072011622&category=14993 I’ll probably use the profit to buy a new sub and main speakers.

I may be able to squeeze them next to the TV, but the JBL site mentions that the speakers are not video shielded and could interfere with the TV. Anyone have this issue?

I don’t know if I want to attempt removing the drivers and making new speakers. I would hate to damage them and wind up with nothing.

The original owner gave the speakers to me, along with other vintage stuff. I’ve sold most of the other stuff on E-bay except for an Amp, pre-amp, cassette decks, BBE 2002 and an old Soundcraftsman EQ. I don’t think he realized the value of what he was giving me. Believe it or not, he told me to through the JBL’s out if I didn’t want them.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
MrZ said:
Thanks for the input guys.

It kills me, but I’ll probably just sell them. I should have planned out the room better, but I ‘m just out of space to fit that size speaker. A pair sold on E-bay yesterday for $2,425
http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072011622&category=14993 I’ll probably use the profit to buy a new sub and main speakers.
That would be too bad. You not get the "in-your-living-room" sound that these can give you from many other speakers.

MrZ said:
I may be able to squeeze them next to the TV, but the JBL site mentions that the speakers are not video shielded and could interfere with the TV. Anyone have this issue?
If these are from the mid-80's or before, they will have the ANICO magnets. The magnet structures that JBL made for these speakers have better control on the flux then the newer ceramic magnet structures even when with the shields. They will not interfere with your TV if they have the ALNICO magnets.

MrZ said:
I don’t know if I want to attempt removing the drivers and making new speakers. I would hate to damage them and wind up with nothing.
They are extremely sturdy and well built. It would be difficult to hurt any part of these speakers except the cones of the woofers and the mid-horn lenses.
MrZ said:
The original owner gave the speakers to me, along with other vintage stuff. I’ve sold most of the other stuff on E-bay except for an Amp, pre-amp, cassette decks, BBE 2002 and an old Soundcraftsman EQ. I don’t think he realized the value of what he was giving me. Believe it or not, he told me to through the JBL’s out if I didn’t want them.
So even if you did manage to break them, you have nothing to loose.:D

JBL's are like vintage 396 Camaro's or Small Block Vet's on EBay -- everyone wants to recall their youth and listen to the Beach Boys with that great West Coast sound, something which too few of us were able to afford decades ago!

Particularly true for those of us who bought AR3's instead!

I have often pondered where the heck I would put a couple of JBL Centuries with all the speakers I have lying about.

Jack (East Coast sound).

:D I second PLANET 10's motion aka [ DAVE] SELL, SELL , SELL , THEM and get something more suitable with the proceeds that you will be happy with.... :xeye: [ i SEE YOU HAVE NOT MENTIONED sound quality or wether you actually like it as it is equally important] with the proceeds of the sale you can build a plethora of designs floating around on cyber space that will probably do the job more satisfactorily to you since you haven't formed an emotional bond with them yet.... good luck, cheers TC :devilr:

qwad said:
:D [ i SEE YOU HAVE NOT MENTIONED sound quality or wether you actually like it as it is equally important] with the proceeds of the sale you can build a plethora of designs floating around on cyber space that will probably do the job more satisfactorily to you since you haven't formed an emotional bond with them yet.... good luck, cheers TC :devilr:

I have never hooked them up to my system. I heard them over my friends house, but never used them in my home theater set up. (he didn't use them in an HT set up).

The foam ring on the woofers is dry rotted and need to be replaced. I didn't want to use them in this state because I heard you can damage the voice coil.

You are right, I'm not attached to them so selling them won't bother me. That's why I didn't repair them and hook them up. If I never hear them I won't get attached to them.

>I have never hooked them up to my system. I heard them over >my friends house, but never used them in my home theater set >up. (he didn't use them in an HT set up).

These are some of the best sounding speakers for home audio ever made, period. They are still in use in some recording studios.
On the HE forum at AA a person mentioned that to better these one would have to buy new speakers costing upwards of $10K+. With a decent tube amp of 10 watts a channel these speakers make music, period. Mine have been with me for just over 3 years now. They are some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. I prefer them to my cousin's top of the line B&W speakers.
These match up great with vacuum tubes.

>The foam ring on the woofers is dry rotted and need to be >replaced. I didn't want to use them in this state because I >heard you can damage the voice coil.

Agreed. It is not very expensive to have this done. Best not to play them until they are repaired.

>You are right, I'm not attached to them so selling them won't >bother me. That's why I didn't repair them and hook them up. If >I never hear them I won't get attached to them.

You never mentioned what type of speakers you are now using? Matched with some decent small satelite speakers for home theatre it would not get much better than this. Selling them needing work will cut down what you will get selling them. If you are all set financially go ahead and sell them. If not then ask yourself how many chances you will get to hang on to a world class pair of speakers? These will never depreciate, and they will hold their value, or increase over time no doubt. In Asia they pay $5K and upwards for these speakers. These are keepers to me over most all the new boutique speakers for sale today. Real stout cabinets, excellent drivers, and some pretty amazing sound. I listen to mine with Mullard EL34 tubes, and a tube preamplifier. At 93dB efficient all they need is 8 to 10 watts a channel. The bass is some of the best I have ever heard and the mid range horns make voices sound "real." These are in the same league as the Altec Model 19, Valencia, and other great sounding horn speakers.

>These are some of the best sounding speakers for home audio ever made, period. They are still in use in some recording studios.
On the HE forum at AA a person mentioned that to better these one would have to buy new speakers costing upwards of $10K+.<

Wow, putting it that way maybe I will hold on to them.

>You never mentioned what type of speakers you are now using? Matched with some decent small satelite speakers for home theatre it would not get much better than this. <

I'm currently using NHT SuperZeros for all 5 channels and a 70 watt velodyne sub. I purchased this set up when I lived in a townhouse. The room I was using the HT was small and the setup was perfect. Now I'm in a new home and the room is a lot larger. The speaker system doesn't seem to cut it in the larger room, especially the sub.

>Selling them needing work will cut down what you will get selling them.<

I would have them repaired. I called a JBL repair center in North NJ. It should cost about $75 per speaker to repair.

>If you are all set financially go ahead and sell them. <

I wish

Thanks for the input. I think my project this weekend will be to see how I can fit them in.

>Two words--sell them! These JBLs are too ancient...restoring >them costs a lot (and they may break down again). Besides, >there are many more refined modern speakers to choose from >that look and sound better.

Really? Tell me have you ever sat down and actually listened to a pair of these speakers first hand? I just can not stand people giving BAD advice who do not know what they are talking about. There is a website where a guy "Salvatore" gives reviews on high end equipment. Some of it he admits that he has never heard first hand yet there he is giving people advice on buying high end gear with 2nd hand reports. When did you yourself audition a pair of these ancient JBL L300 speakers? I seriously doubt that these are too many speakers today made that look any better. They are certainly not made better with the cabinet quality that was/is first rate. I run my pair "naked" without the front covers. They sing with Mullard EL34 tubes driving them at 19 wpc in triode mode. I picked this trick up of uncovering the front of the speakers from my friend who makes custom $8K 300b mono block amps. He too now own a pair of ancient relics in a vintage JBL 2-way set of horn speakers. This is a simple trick that improves speaker sound. The analogy is like speaking into a telephone with a hankerchief over the mouthpiece that does muffle the sound. My L300 speakers really look good with a little good wood polish on them. The glass tops are a nice touch. The cabinets are quite well made and shame todays JBL offerings. I have seen, and I have listened to a LOT of new crap speakers that sound plain terrible. The drivers in these L300 Summit are all top notch. Can you say the word "Alnico" for the magnets. These can be placed next to the TV and would be great for home theater IMHO. The D-130 woofer is old eh, but not too many are better. The mid-range horns present the listener with how voices should sound. That is why there are some of these and the pro grade of these ancient JBL L300 models still used in recording studios today. There is no comparrison between these and the JBL L200. That is why so many L200 speakers were upraded after the L300 came out. The highs sparkle on these Summit speakers. What is there to break down in these please tell me? Unless you hit them with a 100 watt clip, or other anomaly they are pretty darn good. I would live quite happily with ancient speakers like the JBL Hartsfield, Klipsch K-horns, Cornwall, Altec Valencia, Model 19's and VOT with good original drivers in them. Any of these "ancient" speakers destroy the modern consumer grade garbage made today. The only problem with my pair was a loose wire that required me to remove the small back access panel behind the mid-range horn. The wire was loose. That was it. Even the binding posts are quite good on these. Just match the JBL L300 with a good tube amp of 10 wpc and sit and watch the smile grow. I bet these would sound great with a vintage MC250 50 wpc SS amp. The MC250 came out to replace the MC240 and the original SS McIntish amps still had a warmer tube like sound. Mated with the right amplifier, and preamplifier these speakers are still able to hold their own against today's offerings. So my two word reaponse to when you said "two words - sell them" is also two words said in good nature here are "bite me." I will take my ancient stereo systems and my related ancient equipment over todays stuff. Me and my HK Citation ll amp, 2 - Dynaco ST-70'a both modified, Dyna Mk 111 mono blocks, 1962 Fisher FM-1000 tube stereo tuner, Mc MR-77, and my MR65-b tuners, My old modified Pas3x preamp and my old CJ PV-3, and PV-10A phono preamps, my Denon HA-500 and HA-1000 head amps for my low output MC cartridges. Most all my equipment is/was made in the late 50's like the Citation 11, and ST-70. My ancient FM-1000 is playing now on my not so ancient mid 1970's 16 ohm TAD td-4001 drivers on the 2-way 6' tall horn speaker set up I got for my Dad. There must be something to the sound of this ancient equipment or the audiophiles in the Far East would not be buying as much of our ancient gear. I am sorry this is so long but not many people get the chance to have a pair of these enter their lives for short money. If after he puts in $150 to refoam the D-130 woofers and he does not like the sound (which I seriously doubt) he will be able to recover any money he puts into them when he sells them. The D-130 woofers are about as good as it gets for bass lovers.

My apologies

jpchleapas,

I had never imagined of such a strong response from anyone, and I certainly was not trying to give BAD advice. I admit that I should have plainly stated that I have never listened to a pair of JBL Summits. But based on the quality of today's JBL speakers, I was inclined to say something (and I am not especially pleased with the look of JBL speakers, new or otherwise).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.