Ultimate Computer Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 1st December 2014, 02:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Ultimate Computer Speakers

Hello, I work alot on my computer and I would like to build some very high end speakers. I was looking at the Lumine One 2-way kit and I though it was a very good fit. The source of my music comes from the computer an HDMI cable. I would need to take the hdmi cable, split the audio from the video, send the video to the computer monitor and then amplify the audio. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to split the audio from the hdmi and also a good amp for this kit? I would prefer to stay away from tubes since they heat up the office. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick; 1st December 2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 1st December 2014, 03:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
Google "HDMI Audio extractor" - lots of options out there. Here's one:
HDMI® Audio Converter - Monoprice.com
There are more on Amazon, ebay and such. I've tried none of them myself. You'll need an amp with its own volume control.

Insert witty signature line here.
Old 1st December 2014, 04:25 AM   #3
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member
For a speaker like the Lumine, I would really think about investing in a good source as well. Those eBay extractors are quite poorly designed and meant for basic home theater duty.

I use the Audioquest Dragonfly for some of my 'computer' type work, and it's a great little unit. Plus you don't need a volume control as the DF has its own analog volume control that you can control through Windows.
Old 1st December 2014, 05:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
Hmmm, interesting the note written in the Madi-page:
"Please note the very small enclosure will restrict the size of the crossover that can be used internally! Consider external wiring of the crossovers or building a false pedestal bottom to house the crossovers!!"
“Unless requested otherwise, crossovers will be assembled on one matrix plus one double-matrix board per channel, measuring 5.5" x 5.625" and 11" x 5.625" respectively"
so...you may request to have the components alone and do the soldering job.
As everything sounds...
Old 1st December 2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member
One great option for a nearfield (I'm assuming you're looking at nearfield since they'll be computer speakers) speaker is a full range. There are a lot of quality drivers that sound great, especially nearfield. MarkAudio drivers are made to be run full range and they sound quite good.
The Madisound Speaker Store

Marantz PM8003 amp, Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, MLTL Continuums; MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns, MarkAudio CHP-70s
Old 1st December 2014, 12:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
I'd go for small co-axials like these:

Old 1st December 2014, 02:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
For what it's worth i agree with the point source or fullranger ideas. Since you are sitting really close to the speakers the integration of the woofer and tweeter would be the biggest problem. The max spl the last.
Old 1st December 2014, 04:09 PM   #8
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member
I had the Fostex 127 on my desk for a long time driven by the Decware Zen amp. That was a great combo and if it were not for the economy tanking, I would still have that set up today.
My "Art" website http://home.comcast.net/~djnagle/site/
Old 1st December 2014, 04:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
Thanks for the responses. These speakers will sit around 6-8ft from the listening point.

It seems I can go the HDMI extractor + amplifier route or I can just get a receiver that has the extractor capability and amplification. Is there a receiver (I prefer non tube due to heat reasons) that someone can recommend for the lumine one?

Last edited by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick; 1st December 2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 1st December 2014, 05:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
My recommendation:
- coaxial or fullrange (kef,tannoy,seas)
- Coaxial or Optical out of motherboard
- into small DAC ( plenty products to choose from)
- into a t class amp
Small and neat and sounds awesome nearfield...
Have a setup like this my self. Now assessing Kef Egg speakers (will build some nice cabs for them)

Hide this!Advertise here!