Bi-amping DIY 2-way speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to the mighty audiophile community of this highly respected (by me, and not only) forum!

Here's the deal.
I own a pair of DIY 2way speakers, consisting of a full range Visaton FRS8 and TVM ARN 226/07. The crossover is 2nd order at cut off frequency - 600Hz. As you can guess, the coils and the capacitors for the filters are too expensive because of the huge values, calculated for this cut off freq. That's why I invested in cheap low quality electrolytic capacitors which ruin the sound quality.
I am planning to rip the crossovers and go true biamping. I don't mean bi-wiring, or passive bi-ambing.
So I read the Rod Elliot's articles for bi amping. The four amplifiers are not a problem, as I have them already. The active x-over is easy to get as well. I can buy a nice and realively cheap kit where I live.
The issue is the cut-off frequency and balancing the gain/power of the amplifiers.
My question is: since at frequency ~350Hz (according to the Elliot's article) the power distribution between the LF and HF drivers is equal, does this mean I can use four identical amplifiers for each driver (if we assume the sensitivities of the drivers are equal)?

Thank you for the promt response.
I own two identical stereo amps, based on LM1875 gainclones. Also have a beefy solid state amp on +-42V.
The thing I just can't figure out is how do I balance the gains/powers between the lows and highs, in order to achieve accurate sound. Is it just a matter of personal taste or there is a mathematical/theoretical/measuring way to do it.
It seems "optimal balance" it is even possible, as I found multiple threads on the net from people asking the same question.
Greetings!

The crossover should let you adjust the gain for the highs and lows. Even though your amps might be identical, the high and low drivers have different efficiencies and so need more or less gain. I did the same thing years ago and I'll never go back to passive crossovers. I used a microphone and measurement to start with, trying to get the levels even across the full range of frequencies. Then I spent a few years tweaking things, which is one of the joys of active crossovers. The improvement it brings to the sound really is dramatic, and you'll have so much more control.

As always your mileage may vary.
I once built an Active Crossover for my Tannoys.
A bespoke V well designed gizmo that proved surprisingly pricey for the parts alone. Yesss It worked.. after gain /level adjustments.
Somewhat simplified by the Purpose designed for my Exact drivers Active circuits.
Oddly the sounds while Better than the Passive (albeit well tweaked) crossovers was small.. at best.
Small enough so that I've reverted to the passives :)
Easier setup / less hassle to use at minimal to no audible disadvantage.
Likely an atypical situation.
I would guess that the lower one goes down the driver quality ladder the more the differences manifest.
As in biggest sound gains occur in the lowest Speakers.
PS; one can also fit Passive crossovers between source/preamps and the Power amps. A powered active crossover is just a variant type.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
The crossover should let you adjust the gain for the highs and lows. Even though your amps might be identical, the high and low drivers have different efficiencies and so need more or less gain.

In my case
HF (full range) sensitivity - 82 dB (1 W/1 m)
LF - 88 dB (1 W/1 m)

The 6dB difference should be balanced by lifting the gain of the HF 1.995 (roughly 2) times. Calculated 1.995 voltage gain is 6db. :scratch:

@Joschl - Thank you for the useful article. It will be of great use when the xovers are available and I start doing the tweaks:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.