Beyma TPL-200H - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2014, 10:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Beyma TPL-200H

I currently use TPL-150H in my MTM curved setup for home theatre behind a false wall.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am happy with them but are always looking for improvements and i am thinking about switching them out for the new TPL-200H version.

Has anyone tried or reviewed the TPL-200 in horn or non horn version?
Old 26th November 2014, 02:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

From the datasheets, it seems that Beyma has manufactured at least three versions of the TPL AMT tweeters.
TPL-150 (80W, 5.9 ohms)
TPL-150Silver and TPL-150Black Lower resistance (80W, 4.9 ohms)
TPL-200 (120W, 4.9 ohms) Higher Power

It is possible that the research in this 2010 Beyma AES paper resulted in construction changes used in the latest TPL pleated membranes and motor.

http://www.beyma.com/uploads/descargas/1355215096.pdf
==================

Did you ever consider a TMW design? A TMW with an 8" or 10" M crossed ~1600Hz and a 15"-18" woofer crossed ~80-100Hz would remove M-T and M-M lobing due to spacing, provide a smoother controlled directivity pattern, and deliver deep bass. The TPL-150H horn is listed at H=80 degree, V=40 degree dispersion, and a tight C-to-C physical spacing to a midrange with the same H=80 polar could provide a smooth directivity curve.

==================

Doug's thread "10" MTM with NeoPro5i Ribbon - Build Thread" is a good reminder of dispersion and lobing limitations in an MTM when the center-to-center spacing is greater than half the crossover frequency wavelength.

"1. Unacceptable vertical response caused by the MTM arrangement of the TD10M drivers.

The drivers ended up being spaced about 18” apart C-C to make room for the NeoPro5i in between. That 18” spacing corresponds to a wavelength of 750Hz which means the first serious null would be around 1500Hz. If you take a look at the vertical response of the two TD10M drivers in their MTM arrangement, you’ll see the severity of the problem. At just 15 degrees off axis, there’s a 20dB dip at 1500Hz which is completely unacceptable. Things only get worse from there, with a plethora of peaks and nulls as you move farther off axis."

If you can accept ~94db/watt SPL efficiency, a TMW with an 8" midbass and 18" woofer crossed at 1,500Hz and 150Hz is one proven topology. A custom built 90 x 40 constant directivity horn would be the classic home disperions pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPL150_200.jpg (118.9 KB, 285 views)
Old 27th November 2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Okv is offline Okv  Norway
diyAudio Member

For this application there may not be a noticeable difference, the 200 has a little more power capacity and slightly improved efficiency.

The biggest difference is in the response above 10K, if the current design is equalized electronically in the crossover or acoustically then this eq will not match the other unit.

I would not be too concerned about lobing issues, your design looks good to me, I bet they sound very nice.
To find the actual dispersion characteristics you need to measure, as the resulting response off-axis depends not only on the distance between the drivers, but also the dispersion of the individual drivers, the crossover also affects the response around the crossover freq.
The TPL has quite narrow vertical pattern, and is nowhere close to linear within 20 degrees.
Old 27th November 2014, 05:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

TPL150H_polars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPL150H_polars.JPG (112.7 KB, 228 views)
Old 27th November 2014, 01:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post
For this application there may not be a noticeable difference, the 200 has a little more power capacity and slightly improved efficiency.

The biggest difference is in the response above 10K, if the current design is equalized electronically in the crossover or acoustically then this eq will not match the other unit.

I would not be too concerned about lobing issues, your design looks good to me, I bet they sound very nice.
To find the actual dispersion characteristics you need to measure, as the resulting response off-axis depends not only on the distance between the drivers, but also the dispersion of the individual drivers, the crossover also affects the response around the crossover freq.
The TPL has quite narrow vertical pattern, and is nowhere close to linear within 20 degrees.
Thank you for a good answer.

I have a digital DSP with crossover and advanced eq to manage the frequency response.

I was hoping that the 200H had a little more resolution and transparency than the 150H and also more power from reading the specs.

Both of those features is welcome in my setup.

I had a titanium drive horn unit before my TPL and i miss how loud it was when i wanted to crank it really loud.
I have double 21" (2000w amp each) for bass delivery so the TPL is the part lacking when i want to play really LOUD.
Old 27th November 2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

I was hoping they would come out with one with slightly wider dispersion.
Old 27th November 2014, 11:32 PM   #7
Okv is offline Okv  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Thank you for a good answer.

I have a digital DSP with crossover and advanced eq to manage the frequency response.

I was hoping that the 200H had a little more resolution and transparency than the 150H and also more power from reading the specs.

Both of those features is welcome in my setup.

I had a titanium drive horn unit before my TPL and i miss how loud it was when i wanted to crank it really loud.
I have double 21" (2000w amp each) for bass delivery so the TPL is the part lacking when i want to play really LOUD.
Just thought i could provide some info, as I just did some measurements and testing on the 200.

I find it strange that the tpl is not able to provide enough spl, as it should be plenty loud enough for the relatively close listening distance in a smaller room.
You could try a higher crossover freq, but I suspect there are other issues at play here, not necessarily spl limitations on the tpl, but differences between the reposne/sound of tpl and the other horn driver causing the perception of less headroom or dynamics.
Old 27th November 2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Rizla, what are you using for a mid? How and where are you crossing it?
Old 28th November 2014, 01:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Do I remember correctly that people have removed the back cover from TPL-150 to let the rear wave escape into larger damped chamber for an improvement in the SQ?
Old 30th November 2014, 08:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post
Just thought i could provide some info, as I just did some measurements and testing on the 200.

I find it strange that the tpl is not able to provide enough spl, as it should be plenty loud enough for the relatively close listening distance in a smaller room.
You could try a higher crossover freq, but I suspect there are other issues at play here, not necessarily spl limitations on the tpl, but differences between the reposne/sound of tpl and the other horn driver causing the perception of less headroom or dynamics.
It´s kinda hard to explain, the titanium driver i had did not have the silky resolution and sound quality but they had that rough dynamics at high volume and the feeling that you wanted to turn it louder and louder!
That i thought was also because of the higher sensitivity. If i had two db more sensitivity, and higher power handling it would give me some of the same?

What differences have you found on the 200 vs the 150 ?
distortion numbers?

I have removed the back chamber and built a bigger chamber of about 1 liter dampened.

Face :
Crossover is at 2000hz
B&C 8PE21 mid :
B&C Speakers

The best one i´ve used till now. Absolutely wonderful!

Hide this!Advertise here!