Beyma TPL-200H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would love to hear the Mundorf series compared to the TPL myself. BUT AMT's beat anything for above 2khz for me. I will be using mine in a large horn so I wonder what the resonance is coming from?

Does this show up as much when the back cover are removed or what?

Please find attached a comparison between a TPL 200 and a Mündorf 197PP27-R, with and without horn.
For me, the compression era is over...

Pascal

Attachments

• TPL200 and 197PP27-R comparison.pdf
    676.7 KB · Views: 371
I would love to hear the Mundorf series compared to the TPL myself. BUT AMT's beat anything for above 2khz for me. I will be using mine in a large horn so I wonder what the resonance is coming from

Please find here attached a measurement report concerning a TPL200 compared to a Mündorf 197PP27-R.
Directivity measurements have not been completed.

Pascal

Attachments

• TPL200 and 197PP27-R comparison.pdf
    676.7 KB · Views: 224
Could somebody post the article or send it to me with pm? I would appreciate very much.

What do we know about this ND3ST, can anybody confirm it's as great as they say? You see, I would need new tweeters and I would be interested which of these is better. I want to make as little of compromise as possible.

This will depend on your room and your preferences. Lots of variables to check through before you settle on drivers

You are right. I already own TPL150 tweeters and I noticed when used them in the horn mode they are too directive. And without the horn, that's not good either, too spread out. I would need to build a smaller waveguide that has a shape just in the middle of those two. Of course same probably goes with the 200 version.
Otherwise the TPL specs are ok to me. Of course if some other driver would go even lower in frequency range and would have the same or better spl and distortion figures, I would not complain... The good thing is that the price does not matter to me so much.

Now, I dont have any experience of these compression drivers. Do they sell a smaller horn for it or is the big one the only option? It's probably too directive for me. Are they totally unusable without it?

Last edited:
You are right. I already own TPL150 tweeters and I noticed when used them in the horn mode they are too directive. And without the horn, that's not good either, too spread out. I would need to build a smaller waveguide that has a shape just in the middle of those two. Of course same probably goes with the 200 version.
Otherwise the TPL specs are ok to me. Of course if some other driver would go even lower in frequency range and would have the same or better spl and distortion figures, I would not complain... The good thing is that the price does not matter to me so much.

Now, I dont have any experience of these compression drivers. Do they sell a smaller horn for it or is the big one the only option? It's probably too directive for me. Are they totally unusable without it?

There is a 90x60 horn. The compression driver without a horn will definitely be too spread out. See if you can get the TPL150 to work for you first.

The vertical directivity is a lot different with a compression driver on a horn. Might be worth trying a cheap one if you haven't had one in your system.

In no way am I trying to change the thread's direction. But I had been seriously considering the TPL-150 or TPL-200, non horn loaded versions for my current project. I just had trouble choosing them over the Aruum Cantus AST-25120. It seems slightly superior in most ways. And costs $400 less per pair, than the TPL-200. I almost purchased the TPL-200, but read where it is not really the best, without a super tweeter added. I sure would love to be able to compare the two! That would be so amazing. Oh, to be wealthy. :rolleyes:

There is a 90x60 horn. The compression driver without a horn will definitely be too spread out. See if you can get the TPL150 to work for you first.

I know I can get it to work, the problems are not so big, but I also need an another system in another location and for that I need to buy anyway, so of course I'm looking for something even better.

Has anybody tried to put two TPL:s right on top of each other, without the horn, how would that sound?

I almost purchased the TPL-200, but read where it is not really the best, without a super tweeter added.

I've lost so much highs on my hearing that not needing a super tweeter, but I sure could use a drive that goes a bit lower.

Last edited:
Hi Machismo. The Aurum Cantus AST-25120 does play lower than the Beymas do. According to PE, 700 to 30,000 Hz is their frequency response. According to Aurum Cantus, the recommended xover point is 1000hz. They play flat to 30k also, even if we can't hear it, lol.

I would not be too sure about that.
"Recommended" xover point of the TPL200 is also 1000 Hz.
Beyma shows an impedance curve with a very slight resonance around 1500 Hz; that's why these tweeters are best used above 1500 Hz.
I don't see an impedance curve of the AST-2510 :(
In general I believe the Beyma specs to be more reliable; I have quite some experience with the TPL150.
Last (but maybe not least) the TPL200B is 4 times heavier than the AST-2510.

How low realistically can you take the Beyma TPL-200 tweeter in a third order network? 1.2 Khz?

I am thinking if there are any 15" bass/mid drivers out there that would make for an interesting two way?

I am not bothered about off axis performance a known issue with using big drivers at 1.2 - 1.7Khz as this will be a single listener design

Has anybody tried to put two TPL:s right on top of each other, without the horn, how would that sound?

I tried it now. Two TPL 150s without front panel(or horn) right on top of each other. Turns out the magnets repel each other with quite a lot of force, :magnet: no matter which end are opposing. But I simply pushed them hard almost touching each other (1mm gap) and screw them to them to some piece of wood to keep them together.

As you know the sound in these comes from metal slots, openings. The distance from slot edge to slot edge between tweeters(the effective distance) is now exactly one inch which cannot be reduced anymore. It would be of course more if the front plates would be in place. But I guess one inch is all right?

The results: It's better. The dynamics improved and generally the sound is less annoying and more natural. It feels I can cross it now a bit lower than before. I didn't notice any new problems in how it sounds, the only thing is that the vertical listening window is really small, at 3 meters away the most sweet and perfect spot is about the height of one TPL unit. Not two as you would expect maybe?

Now I am really interested, how these would sound and work as a line source? Have you seen anybody do it with any model Beyma TPL?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.