Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Beyma TPL-200H
Beyma TPL-200H
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2018, 01:39 PM   #71
Hennie is offline Hennie  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Many people also dislike the TPL below 1700 Hz or so. What horn do you use?
Old 10th July 2018, 05:19 PM   #72
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
You are right. I already own TPL150 tweeters and I noticed when used them in the horn mode they are too directive. And without the horn, that's not good either, too spread out. I would need to build a smaller waveguide that has a shape just in the middle of those two. Of course same probably goes with the 200 version.
Otherwise the TPL specs are ok to me. Of course if some other driver would go even lower in frequency range and would have the same or better spl and distortion figures, I would not complain... The good thing is that the price does not matter to me so much.

Now, I dont have any experience of these compression drivers. Do they sell a smaller horn for it or is the big one the only option? It's probably too directive for me. Are they totally unusable without it?
There is a 90x60 horn. The compression driver without a horn will definitely be too spread out. See if you can get the TPL150 to work for you first.

The vertical directivity is a lot different with a compression driver on a horn. Might be worth trying a cheap one if you haven't had one in your system.
Old 11th July 2018, 12:05 AM   #73
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

In no way am I trying to change the thread's direction. But I had been seriously considering the TPL-150 or TPL-200, non horn loaded versions for my current project. I just had trouble choosing them over the Aruum Cantus AST-25120. It seems slightly superior in most ways. And costs $400 less per pair, than the TPL-200. I almost purchased the TPL-200, but read where it is not really the best, without a super tweeter added. I sure would love to be able to compare the two! That would be so amazing. Oh, to be wealthy.
Old 11th July 2018, 02:52 PM   #74
Machismo is offline Machismo  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
There is a 90x60 horn. The compression driver without a horn will definitely be too spread out. See if you can get the TPL150 to work for you first.
I know I can get it to work, the problems are not so big, but I also need an another system in another location and for that I need to buy anyway, so of course I'm looking for something even better.

Has anybody tried to put two TPL:s right on top of each other, without the horn, how would that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
I almost purchased the TPL-200, but read where it is not really the best, without a super tweeter added.
I've lost so much highs on my hearing that not needing a super tweeter, but I sure could use a drive that goes a bit lower.

Last edited by Machismo; 11th July 2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11th July 2018, 06:20 PM   #75
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Machismo. The Aurum Cantus AST-25120 does play lower than the Beymas do. According to PE, 700 to 30,000 Hz is their frequency response. According to Aurum Cantus, the recommended xover point is 1000hz. They play flat to 30k also, even if we can't hear it, lol.
Old 11th July 2018, 06:42 PM   #76
pieter t is offline pieter t  Netherlands
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
Hi Machismo. The Aurum Cantus AST-25120 does play lower than the Beymas do. According to PE, 700 to 30,000 Hz is their frequency response. According to Aurum Cantus, the recommended xover point is 1000hz. They play flat to 30k also, even if we can't hear it, lol.
I would not be too sure about that.
"Recommended" xover point of the TPL200 is also 1000 Hz.
Beyma shows an impedance curve with a very slight resonance around 1500 Hz; that's why these tweeters are best used above 1500 Hz.
I don't see an impedance curve of the AST-2510
In general I believe the Beyma specs to be more reliable; I have quite some experience with the TPL150.
Last (but maybe not least) the TPL200B is 4 times heavier than the AST-2510.
Old 11th July 2018, 06:54 PM   #77
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

I hope Voicecoil tests aurum cantus someday too.

wish to see distortion figures from that

Beyma TPL-200HHide this!Advertise here!