Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Beyma TPL-200H
Beyma TPL-200H
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2014, 03:37 PM   #11
Okv is offline Okv  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
... had that rough dynamics at high volume and the feeling that you wanted to turn it louder and louder!
Exactly.
You start out listening to some music, level is kind of civilized, then you find some more music, turn it up a little, and there it goes.
End up listening at levels very far from anything civilized, because the experience just keep getting better the louder it is, and the ears adapt to the higher spl as you start out on a decent level and turn it up in smaller steps.

From then information given here, I find it difficult to point out what causes your perceived difference between the drivers.
What is certain, though, is that the answer lies in the frequency response, the sound field properties (relationship pressure/particle velocity/sound power, larger horn gives more sound power), and distortion profile.
My guess is sound field properties plays a much larger role than what is currently considered in traditional audio science.

If you remove the rear chamber on the tpl, keep in mind that the response will change quite dramatically.
Both the felt pad close to the diaphragm and the chamber is tuned to give a reasonably smooth, flat response.
Removing the felt and the chamber will give a response that is different, and requires work with horn, new chamber, crossover or dsp, to get it right.
Old 9th December 2014, 07:26 AM   #12
Rizla is offline Rizla
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post
Exactly.
You start out listening to some music, level is kind of civilized, then you find some more music, turn it up a little, and there it goes.
End up listening at levels very far from anything civilized, because the experience just keep getting better the louder it is, and the ears adapt to the higher spl as you start out on a decent level and turn it up in smaller steps.

From then information given here, I find it difficult to point out what causes your perceived difference between the drivers.
What is certain, though, is that the answer lies in the frequency response, the sound field properties (relationship pressure/particle velocity/sound power, larger horn gives more sound power), and distortion profile.
My guess is sound field properties plays a much larger role than what is currently considered in traditional audio science.

If you remove the rear chamber on the tpl, keep in mind that the response will change quite dramatically.
Both the felt pad close to the diaphragm and the chamber is tuned to give a reasonably smooth, flat response.
Removing the felt and the chamber will give a response that is different, and requires work with horn, new chamber, crossover or dsp, to get it right.
I am aware of that, and i use a digital processor (4in, 8 out XLR) and advanced measurement equipment to fine tune the system.

Still thinking about the TPL-200H... hmmm.. Hehe
Old 9th December 2014, 08:45 AM   #13
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

seen this new aero striction tweet? Aurum cantus
Old 27th August 2015, 06:45 AM   #14
Machismo is offline Machismo  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default TPL 200 vs TPL 150

Any new experinces of these two? I'm interested which have better sound at low to medium volume.
Old 28th August 2015, 04:42 AM   #15
chrapladm is offline chrapladm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Curious if the TPL-200 can play any lower at low volumes compared to the TPL150?

But in the response shape it actually looks like the 150 goes a touch lower before roll off than the 150. 200 is more powerful but I hope it is when comparing apples to apples.

I am looking at going back to the TPL in my next speaker build with horn loaded 10's. Which TPL I dont know yet. BUT I also have a pair of PHL 3451 10" mids I could also use them with so ......decisions decisions.
Old 1st April 2016, 03:26 PM   #16
System215 is offline System215  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm using the TPL-150h with the Acoustic Elegance TD12M, passively crossed over @ 1800 Hz, with an 18" OEM Eminence driver electronically crossed over (Driverack 4820) @ 90 Hz with a 12 dB/oct. Linkwitz-Riley slope. I considered ordering the TPL-200h, but other than the power handling, the two drivers seemed very similar to each other. . .
Old 1st April 2016, 10:17 PM   #17
Adhoc1 is offline Adhoc1
diyAudio Member

System215: Interesting! I donít want to go OT in this TPL 200 thread but would you mind sharing your findings? Have you written about it somewhere already? Iím building myself now a very similar system; TD12 M + TPL 150H + 18Ē as subs, even similar active filter, you have dbx 4820 and I plan to use the predecessor dbx 482 (lended out at the moment to a friend). My thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...-welcomed.html
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:02 PM   #18
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Crossover is at 2000hz
B&C 8PE21 mid :
B&C Speakers

The best one iīve used till now. Absolutely wonderful!
Hello Rizla.

Would you mind ellaborating on the 8PE21 and what other drivers did you compare it to?

I need to decide on a midrange driver and have TPL-150H, looking to xo somewhere in the 2-2.5kHz range in a fully active system, and the 8PE21 as direct radiator is one serious candidate. In my case it would be TMWW though.
Old 2nd April 2016, 01:51 PM   #19
System215 is offline System215  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc1 View Post
System215: Interesting! I don’t want to go OT in this TPL 200 thread but would you mind sharing your findings? Have you written about it somewhere already? I’m building myself now a very similar system; TD12 M + TPL 150H + 18” as subs, even similar active filter, you have dbx 4820 and I plan to use the predecessor dbx 482 (lended out at the moment to a friend). My thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...-welcomed.html
Adhoc1, Well your project is rather a larger one than mine. In my own case, the speakers are best described as semi-DIY. That is, I chose the AE and Beyma drivers and a box design of approx. 55 L tuned to 45 Hz. Turns out I should have tuned the boxes higher or used them sealed. More on that later. Then I sent AE and Beyma driver specs to Solen (Home - Solen Electronique - World leading producer of high-end crossover components) for passive crossover design as I have not had satisfactory results using electronic crossovers. Solen designed a crossover with a L-R 12 dB/oct. low pass at 1 kHz and a L-R 12 db/oct. high pass at 1500 Hz. Sounded terrible! I then took the completed cabinets with their inadequate crossovers to Audio Hardware, Inc. here in Toronto. The owner there, Steve Kranis, has long experience designing passive crossovers and came up with crossover design centred at 1.8 kHz that works very well. He also pointed out my errors in the box design, but also demonstrated with both listening and measurement tests that using a L-R 12 dB/oct. low pass on the subwoofer and letting the mains run full-range enables a near-seamless integration between the 12" AE driver and the 18" Eminence. With an MC2 Audio S1400 for the subs and a Lab-Gruppen IPD2400 for the mains, I'm pleased with the results. I'm now comparing this system with a similar system I also put together with Steve Kranis's input: a TAD TD-2001/DDS circular horn crossed over at 1400 Hz with an 18 dB/oct. slope and a TAD TM-1201 crossed over at the same frequency but with a 12 dB/oct. slope. These mains modules are then crossed over, using a Bryston 10B, with a low pass of 12 dB/oct. @ 200 Hz, to a pair of TAD TL-1801s in 9.3 cu. ft. cabinets tuned to 30 Hz. Both systems are extremely satisfying, but have only had the Beyma/AE/Eminence set up for a short time, so the comparative judgement is not in yet. . .

Last edited by System215; 2nd April 2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2nd April 2016, 06:41 PM   #20
Adhoc1 is offline Adhoc1
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. Too bad your first crossover try just cost you money. Still, I think such info may be just as valuable as successes for those who are thinking about similar builds.

I donít see the system Iím contemplating as "rather larger" than the one you have by the way. The 4 front mono subs in their positions are mainly to even out width and height modes (centers placed at 1/4 from sidewalls, floor and ceiling) and the subs at the back wall to even out length modes.

As you run it now with Kranisí new filter, is it with decreased volume as sealed or ported box with a changed higher tuning?

Beyma TPL-200HHide this!Advertise here!