Magneplanar ribbon repair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Magneplanar 2.5r speakers, with the true ribbon tweeters. One of the ribbons is OK for the top third, and the bottom third, but the middle section appears to have been dislodged from the guides. I don't know if it has stretched or not (I think not).

I hope I can simply take off the protective fabric and (with non-magnetic tools!) carefully re-position the ribbon.

I know that you can get new bare ribbons from Magnepan, but it looks a very fiddly job to replace.

Any advice gratefully received.

No, you can't simply re-position the ribbons. The little nubs at the sides are blobs of adhesive that hold the ribbon in place.
Yes, it's a nuisance to re-ribbon a Magneplanar ribbon, but I've done it; it can be done under relatively primative conditions (i.e. a kitchen counter).
You can either send in your ribbon and get a new driver in exchange, or get a repair kit. The kit's much cheaper in the long run, but there's work involved.
N.B.: The ribbon material is very, very, very delicate. It will take patience and gentle handling to get the job done.
Good luck.

Grey

Thanks for the info. I've checked the threads on the 'planar' website and ribbon replacement does sound fiddly. I guess that's why you get the ribbons as packs of three! I don't know if the tweeter exchange option is still available.

I'm in the UK and there's no Maggie dealers over here. It looks as if I'd better give the factory a ring. There doesn't seem to be an email address for them anywhere. Hope they take Mastercard orders over the phone.

Thanks again,
Chris.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.