Recommend a replacement 15" woofer please...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The woofers in my old Scott 197B speakers have got perished rubber surrounds, and other than maybe a rubber replacement kit can anyone recommend a woofer that will work similarly as a direct replacement?

According to the spec sheet, the woofer is down to 38hz at -4db, and is crossed over to the 4" midrange at 750hz. The box is sealed and the internal volume is 23 cubic feet.

I did look at a couple of drivers such as an IMG (Monacor) SP-380PA which would work, but not give the same bass response, so I wonder what peoples experience here could come up with.

I may even contemplate an econowave style rebuild with a Pyle PH612 waveguide and try and sort out a crossover for it. If I did that I could even put some ports in it if vented would work better.

Any help in any direction appreciated.:)

Cheers

Gary.

The woofers in my old Scott 197B speakers have got perished rubber surrounds, and other than maybe a rubber replacement kit can anyone recommend a woofer that will work similarly as a direct replacement?

According to the spec sheet, the woofer is down to 38hz at -4db, and is crossed over to the 4" midrange at 750hz. The box is sealed and the internal volume is 23 cubic feet.

I think you mean 2.3 cubic feet ;)
According to google they could be closer to 2.7
(27.25-1.5)*(17-1.5)*(13.25-1.5)/1728=2.7 (assuming 3/4" wall thickness)

I would refoam/resurround them, as matching sensitivity and other parameters might be harder than finding a woofer that fits/works in the box.

Hi Ron,

Yes you're right it should be 2.3 - the keyboard on my cheap laptop isn't the best and sometimes things I type don't always end up on screen, so I often have to go back and add things. The '.' was another casualty. :)

The front baffle is recessed for the front grill, so the volume is a little less that the external dimensions would suggest. I'm not sure if the spec sheets 2.3 takes into account driver volume either. Is that usual?

Thanks to all for the that unanimous vote for refoaming being the best way forward.

Cheers

Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.