SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

1) The filler cone needs to be around 6mm from the resting position of the to allow for Xlim excursion.

H10CL cone reduction.jpg

2) Do the best you can to match the original ;^)
3) The few ounces you save in weight may not be worth the flimsy factor.

Art

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all!

I'm getting close to completion with my drawings now, but I just can't seem to figure out how the grill frame and secondary horn are supposed to attach to the front? Is the grill a continuation of the primary horn angle-wise? If anyone could take some close up photos of their grill frame and/or secondary horn attachment I would be sincerely grateful!

1682601979211.png

Reactions: 1 user
@leosandstrom I agree, I am basically up to the same stage as you. (although my model is not as pretty) but I can't wrap my head around how people have attached the grill. @weltersys photo in the original post is one of the only photos I can find with a grill attached. And It doesn't look very clear to me how the grill attaches. It seems from this photo that it is screwed to the cabinet. Or it's just inserted between the main horn and the secondary horn and held in place by the ratchet strap.
I have a feeling most people have ditched the grill as there just aren't many examples out there to copy. Am I missing something?
Stand Mount.png

The original SynTripP secondary horn attachment used a ratchet strap bridle assembly.
The grill transitions between the the primary and secondary horn angle.
Here's what the grill transition looks like: View attachment 1168896 View attachment 1168897 View attachment 1168898
Hope that helps!

Art
Thank you so much Art, those pictures really cleared things up!

@josh11 As I understand it, the grill frame is screwed on and fills the remaining empty space making the front of the horn totally flush. Not quite sure how to best attach the mesh fabric to it though, but that's nothing some glue and staples won't fix!

Since the front of the cabinet is now flush, I no longer see any problems attaching the secondary horn. I'll try to make a rought model of it and send some photos later today or tomorrow.

1682687133913.png

1682687390121.png

I have not put everything to cut sheets yet but I want to secure materials so that I have everything at home. Prices, minimum orders and availability is making me look for other woods. Most affordable and available right now is B/BB marine grade Sapele Mahogny with Eucalyptus core. Will that be OK? Any need for upscale on exterior box to 15mm/.59?

And just to clarify my understanding is correct. If I would choose to make the fastening of the secondary horns in another way than yours @weltersys, two sheets of 12mm(0.47) / 2440x1220 (4x8 or 96"x48") are what should be enough for two cabinets with two secondary horns?

Have a wonderful day!

I used Roseburg Forest Products AC Exterior 15/32" (.46875") a fir plywood which was stiff enough for this small cabinet. Light weight was a priority for my choice of wood.
Eucalyptus core plywood should be heavier than fir. From what I've read it depends on the way it was cut and dried as far as long term stability, and tends to expand and contract more than fir.

Two sheets of 12mm(0.47) / 2440x1220 (4x8 or 96"x48") should be enough for two cabinets with two secondary horns if you don't make many mistakes, I was into a third sheet after several wrong cuts. :cry:

Art

I've finally started making some sawdust! Most of the parts for the box and the primary horn are done. The CD and 10" drivers will arrive sometime next week, so hopefully everything is assembled and painted by then! Just for fun I took the time to model everything in Blender as well:

1684755450639.png

I found that visualizing the speakers in different lightning/environments really helped out when choosing a color! You may notice that the secondaries have a slight deviation from the original sketches, but I kind of fell in love with the rounded look and I'm just going to hope it doesn't affect the dispersion or pattern control too much.

Attachments

• 1684754404482.png
    1684754404482.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 210
  • 1684754281607.png
    1684754281607.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 203
  • 1684754228360.png
    1684754228360.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 191
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, would the Faital Pro HF 146 be suitable for the SynTriPs?

Nominal Impedance​
8 Ohm​
Minimum Impedance​
6.8 Ohm​
AES Power above 0.9 kHz (1)​
80 W​
AES Power above 0.65 kHz​
40 W​
Maximum Power above 0.9 kHz (2)​
160 W​
Maximum Power above 0.65 kHz​
80 W​
Minimum Crossover Frequency (3)​
0.9 kHz​
Sensitivity (1W/1m) (4)​
109 dB​
Frequency Range​
0.7÷18 kHz​
1685047992335.png

The Faital Pro HF 146 has a 65mm (2.56") dome diaphragm, smaller than the 75mm (3") used.
The displacement difference would limit it's low end output in the 800 Hz range by about -3dB compared to the larger diaphragm drivers.

Unless output is not a concern, go for a 3" diaphragm driver.

Art

I've had a total of eight people email me the past days asking for my plans so I thought I'd just post them here! You should be able to either clone everything to your own OnShape account, or just export the parts in your preferred format.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7...09e6c8fa05c7e109e9/e/cbf888de0316d2db8b70b557

The model features pretty much everything, including the grill frame, secondary horn, handles, adjustable pole mount, dado joints, drill holes, rubber feet, and a neutrik connector that's separate from the rear panel.

Some quick notes:
  • The throat adapter is similar to ones posted earlier in this thread and allows for easy removal of the compression driver, using short studs on the driver and nuts for mounting. I have compared the throat shape to SynTripP_throatadapter_v04 by @Jennygirl and they're pretty much spot-on identical.
  • The profile for the phase plug is derived from SynTripP_coneplug_v08 by @Jennygirl, with some minor changes to the fillet. Do note that I've created a recess for easier mounting, meaning that the phase plug has been extended 5mm. If you were to use the cone plug as-is without the recess, it's guaranteed to interfere with the speaker cone/dustcap!
  • In order to fit the Adam Hall SM707 pole mount I had to increase the gap between the BR port sides by about 1cm.
  • The secondaries deviate from the original sketches by having slightly longer sides and rounded top/bottom panels.
I've been working on this model on and off for the last 6 months, so things are a bit messy and I can't guarantee that all measurements and angles are 100% correct. I know for sure that I've performed some rounding here and there, but there shouldn't be any large deviations (except for the above of course).

If you find any issues, please let me know!

1686575720627.png
1686575648759.png

1686575793841.png
1686575838725.png

1686576151490.png

Reactions: 9 users
Good evening everyone,
I would like to get a little more SPL out of the syntripp and have found the "big brother" of the 10cl51, which is the 10cla64.
Both have virtually the same frequency response. However, the 10cla64 tolerates a bit of power and has a slightly lower Xmas value (Xmas=5.0mm vs. Xmas=5.5mm).
Is the cla64 suitable for the SynTripP and is the lower Xmas value a problem?

regards Felix
Unbenannt-1.png

The B&C 10CLA64 is suitable for the SynTripP but but the increased mass requires slightly more power to reach the same low frequency output as the 10CL51.
Using additional power, the lower Xmax/Xvar may result in no gain in the 100Hz range, though the larger vented coil increased power handling may result in reduced thermal compression, and slightly more upper output potential.
BC10CLA64.png

The Hornresp above sim shows 10CLA64 in black, the 10CL51 light gray, both at 40 volts.
The 10CLA64 may be worth the extra cost, but I wouldn't expect too much difference.

Art

Last edited:
I've been working on this model on and off for the last 6 months, so things are a bit messy and I can't guarantee that all measurements and angles are 100% correct. I know for sure that I've performed some rounding here and there, but there shouldn't be any large deviations (except for the above of course).

If you find any issues, please let me know!

Haha! Wow Leo :)

The day after I've cleaned out the garage and were trying to figure out how in the world to shoe-horn this build in with much of the thoughts goig to making metric blueprints you post this. Many many thanks! Just to verify, this is modelled after Celestion CDX14-3050?

Any cutsheets for 2400x1200?

Again, many thanks to you, Art and many other contributors!

Art, what the ****?

Yesterday I listened to both of the boxes outside for the first time, and the sound is unreal.

I've never heard sound of this quality in my entire life. I had some really high expectations and was still completely blown away. I'm pretty sure you could call this a spiritual experience... I'm not even going to bother talking about the insane clarity/directivity/loudness, but one thing that fascinates me a lot is the complete lack of ear fatigue - even at really high SPL.

Here's around 500 pictures of the building process: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5YFyKBcgGxER1Wp59

I'm still kind of in a shock and don't really know what else to say except thank you, Art.

1687007558042.png
1687007716638.png
1687009086969.png
1687007584738.png
1687007831467.png

1687007985709.png

Reactions: 4 users