SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

You could come next year and do a talk at the festival!

They invited Bear Stanley in a few years ago. Sadly he died in a car accident not long after.

Any louder and it got uncomfortable to listen too. You dont realize how loud they are because they are so clean...and I didn't want to blow the compression drivers so I went easy.

We also ran out of power on the sub-woofer amplifier, which limited the sub output. Though the balance of volume was just right over all.

I didn't measure them, but I estimate the subs run about 6db louder than the syntripps. We like big bass so we add some extra.

Subs are 35-100 - 24db BW both ends.
Syntripps 80 - 950 / 950 to infinity (and beyond) with 24BW on the lower, 18LW on the mid-high.

Need a new sub amp. Got a friend who has access to Crown and Lab Gruppen at wholesale! He may be able to help us out!

CD = Celestian CDX14-3060....the FERRITE version.

Simply because of the cost. And the store 2 blocks away gave them to me at wholesale price because they loved the project. Everyone has been super helpful and generous!

The plywood I found was beautiful to work with. Super good but dense and heavy. That with the ferrite CD's made the boxes quite heavy.

I did see the mids were crossed higher than yours. I was being over cautious in not risking drivers crashing into the plugs.

I am a little green with managing a higher powered speaker system, so decided to play it safe and cross at 80. A bit of overlap with the sub between 80 and 100, but bit of mid bass kick goes well with our electronic dance music.

The DBX Driverack only has a soft limiter. I might see if I can adjust the compressor to act as a hard limiter for douchebags who like to turn the bass knobs to 10.

They were complete enough to make a successful unit that would fit together without any gaps, but I would like to make a nice set of cut plans.

The compound angles took some practice, but we can document with photographs our procedure. The order of the cuts was important.

Being in Canada, you will be happy to know the measurements are all Metric.

If anyone in the Flat Earth Society wants to create the cut plans to show ye old SAE measurements I will put the original cad files somewhere public. :joker:

Last edited:
To be frank, I think we should keep the plans close. Pass them privately as opposed to public posting.

You never know who in what land will take them and start pressing, and perhaps the creators on here are not willing to throw disposable finance to fight a stolen plan.

It happens a lot. Not sure if Tom would consider this within the patent or not...(did I just open a can of worms?)

My friends who make things in Indonesia donate to a local school each year, and tells the manufacturer if a copy of her stuff is seen anywhere in the world, the school looses its funding.

Last edited:
Really nice to hear your reports FinBot, I'm hosting techno parties also with diy speakers aswell so I'm definitely familiar with your delight in good sound:)

Some cut plans in metric sounds like music to my ears

There were two funktion one arrays nearby, which by comparison sounded terrible after listening to the syntripps.

People would leave, then come back in about 20 minutes noting it was way nicer at Coco Poco Loco.

Perhaps the track selection did help alot! :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There were two funktion one arrays nearby, which by comparison sounded terrible after listening to the syntripps.

People would leave, then come back in about 20 minutes noting it was way nicer at Coco Poco Loco.

Perhaps the track selection did help alot! :)

Although I had a small part in helping Art model the Syntrippi and believe it to be a great sounding speaker, like a lot of pro sound reinforcement systems, proper setup is important in getting the proper sound quality out. Are you certain the F1's were setup properly? Not sure if fair comparisons can be made at face value.

They were complete enough to make a successful unit that would fit together without any gaps, but I would like to make a nice set of cut plans.

The compound angles took some practice, but we can document with photographs our procedure. The order of the cuts was important.

Being in Canada, you will be happy to know the measurements are all Metric.

If anyone in the Flat Earth Society wants to create the cut plans to show ye old SAE measurements I will put the original cad files somewhere public. :joker:
Fin,

If/when you have completed your version of the plans, email me so I can post the link in the OP after review.

Metric would be fine ;).

Art

Setup of the Artcar.

Attachments

• 12719412_10154035896871320_9106046886935099707_o.jpg
    12719412_10154035896871320_9106046886935099707_o.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 1,188
Not that I am competent to build one (I can barely hot-glue plastic or foam sheets together :rolleyes: ) but dare I ask...?

Why would the creator NOT want to share his plans? No doubt the SynTripP is a wonderful creation that took hours (years) of development. Why would you want to keep the plans secret? Only if you had a commercial motive (possible), but is not this build a strictly DIY effort (due to patents) and could not be commercially sold? I guess you could sell the plans, but would even that be allowed?

My thoughts are to keep thing like this in the DIY community, so as to attpemt stop manufacturers building without permission, and selling them.

Its unfair that people on here contributed their intellectual input to have someone else make a profit off them.

The plans I have made are very comprehensive.