B&W DM4 newly acquired: Updating steps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just scored a pair of one owner B&W DM4s for the princely sum of £55 on the auction site. I was intending to do a cabinet refurb with a Farrow & Ball eggshell finish to match the domestic decor. However, the cabinets are in such good order that I'm not keen to paint what is a classic unit. It seems to be a later model with the black surround bass units. A quick listen suggests all is in order with all drivers working properly.

I understand that the crossovers are unlikely to need recapping or to have inductors replacing. However, I suspecting internal rewiring might be beneficial - probably with my usual PTFE insulated silver plated copper wire of an appropriate gauge. My model does not have the removable front baffle. However, I suspect the crossover is mounted on the rear panel, judging by the four screws above the terminals.

Can fellow members confirm the position of the crosovers on these later models before I start removing woofers and getting the soldering iron out? Also, any other advice on appropriate mods? I'm not averse to a bit of soldering and am reasonably competent to the extent of being be to solder my own USB cables. I have also obtained a PDF of the crossover schematic if any recapping is recommended.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I've had the chance to listen for a few hours now and also take some measurements. Using the mic in omnidirectional mode (thus measuring more accurately the effect of room acoustics), in my room, REW shows around a 6db peak at 5khz relative to the rest of the respose curve. Bass is about 8db down at 38hz from an averaged 100hz to 10khz. In JRiver mediacenter, a spot of parametric EQ at 5khz (about 2/3 octave either side) helps to remove some 'nasality' on female vocals. Also a spot more EQ at 30hz gives the bottom end a bit of a boost. The speakers are toed in a little and about 15cm from the front wall. Surprisingly, the response is 13db down at 20khz, which I put down to sofas, carpets, rugs and curtains.

BTW, I'm driving the DM4s with an Icon Audio EL34 equipped valve amp and front-ending it with a netbook running into a Musical Fidelity VDAC2 over a DIY USB cable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.