Two way with PA drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2014, 11:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Two way with PA drivers

Today I undug an ugly experimental box that I built 17 years ago. It is using a JBL 2206 in a non B4 alignment and a 2344 bi-radial horn (no I won't sell them) with a 2426 driver.
I never managed to make two nicely built cabinets for those drivers until now. In the next few days I will go and order some wood.

The box is slightly larger than needed for a B4 tuning and also tuned lower than B4. This does of course trade efficiency and flatness of the frequency response for lower extension. Because the system is intended to be driven actively the latter doesen't matter that much.

I also have two JBL 2226 drivers that I bought more than 10 years ago. Some PA guy and I made a large order together although I didn't know what I would do with them back then.

Having read good stuff about the eighteensound XT 1464 waveguide on this and other forums I might probably try a combination with this waveguide on a Faital HF 146 driver together with the JBL 2226.

I will also use a lower tuned alignment with the known trade offs.
OTOH it would be tempting to use something like a TAD 1603 which can go quite low with a natural B4 tuning. With a B6 tuning or another version of equalised lower tuning it can even go down to the mid twenties. But they would of course cost an arm and two legs.

The JBL isn't the most modern drivers but it is still a very good one even by today's standards. With its edge-wound aluminium voice coil and its distortin reducing features it can still be regarded as quite high-tech.
Modern drivers like a B&C 15NBX100 would offer LF extension that is somewhere between the JBL's and the TAD's at an interesting price. But no distortion figures are published for it. But it does have distortion reducing features like T-shaped polepiece and shorting ring.

So I am actually undecided whether I will use the JBLs with a modern waveguide or if I would go for another 15". Maybe I know it after sleeping on it.

Will also post a picture of the ugly prototype with the 12".

Regards

Charles
Old 1st November 2014, 03:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Charles

I look forward to your JBL2344. I have the smaller 2342 with a JBL 2425. Haven't done much work with it except for some basic measurements.

Mike
Old 1st November 2014, 04:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, the 2425 was the one originally used in the 4430 monitor.
Although I like my 2426 the 2425 could probably be the better one. But those are details about which the guys at the Lansing heritage forum fight/discuss about ......

Regards

Charles
Old 1st November 2014, 06:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, the 2425 was the one originally used in the 4430 monitor.
Although I like my 2426 the 2425 could probably be the better one. But those are details about which the guys at the Lansing heritage forum fight/discuss about ......

Regards

Charles
Old 1st November 2014, 07:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ah yes, the 4430. I remember that speaker distinctly. The first time I heard it was in a recording studio that I was using for some soundtrack production. That was way back in the 80s.
Old 1st November 2014, 11:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok here is a picture of that prototype. In the foreground there is one of my two 2226 drivers. The box is around 50 liters and tuned to 45 Hz approx. In the final one I will probably go for a slightly larger box with slightly lower tuning. This would allow a little more extension at the cost ofefficiency.

I was listening to it for about two hours. The effortlessness is quite addictive and I was listening loud enough to trigger the amp's thermal overload protection. It seems that it doesn't like to be tortured in bridge-mode !
From what I have heard what this single box with a 2206 is capable of doing in my living room (with the help some EQing of course) - I think the even more potent 2226 would be enough for the planned bigger box with a XT 1464.
While there are drivers around that are more modern and sexier than that 2226 one must say that it is still a serious no-nonsense product. The haptics is first-rate to say the least.

The crossover I built in 17 years ago was a pre made one by Monacor. It was actually a three way crossover from which I disconnected the tweeter branch. I also removed the low-pass components from the mid-range branch and connected the tweeter to it. I used a resistive voltage divider between crossover and HF driver with an additional cap - used for EQing the drop caused by the CD properties of the horn. It is in fact exactly that type of crossover one shouldn't use at all because it does by no means take the driver properties into account.

I am quite tired by now. Otherwise I would have taken the sigma studio software and an DSP evaluation board into service to generate a better prototype crossover in digital active form. Maybe tomorrow .....

Regards

Charles

P.S. The wite thing on the dustcap is not sone kind of damage but some spider web whioch I will have to remove using a soft paintbrush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jblmoni.jpg (390.7 KB, 374 views)

Last edited by phase_accurate; 1st November 2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: text added
Old 1st November 2014, 11:52 PM   #7
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Be prepared to either swamp the network with resistors or notch filters, if you want "hifi" out of it. The 2425/2426 are nice drivers with high power handling and output, but don't try to force 15k out of them, and know that you'll be dealing with a peaky mess of an impedance curve to work against.

BTW: you can mess with the rear cup volume to tune your highpass filter pole.
Old 2nd November 2014, 01:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry - I completely forgot to mention that I will go for an active solution. That way it would also be easier to "notch out" some peaks.

Regards

Charles
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'd use the 1464.

My 2 only beefs is that the 2206 sound like an old man getting out of bed until you have maybe 10 watts into it (very rugged suspension built to take 300watts rms), and specs necessitate a subwoofer (qts .32 and Fs 52hz).
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd use the 1464.
I will do so but togehter with a 15" (most probably the 2226).

I am still hooked on the sound of the Klipschorn copies that I once had. They didn't go very deep as well but what they did they did very cleanly and with autority.

Regards

Charles

Last edited by phase_accurate; 2nd November 2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo

Hide this!Advertise here!