Advice: Econowave vs LXMINI - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2014, 01:47 PM   #1
yaka24 is offline yaka24  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Advice: Econowave vs LXMINI

Looking to build a new pair of speakers. Please help me decide between Econowave and LXMINI

Room is 20x12

I generally don't sit in that "one" listening chair directly in front of the speakers, which is why I thought econowaves would be a better choice for more "room sound"

Does something like the econowave deluxe come close to the sound of LXmini?
Old 28th October 2014, 03:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

i got the lxmini and these, both use the minidsp 2x4.
Gainphile: S15 - Econowave DSP

they are so different that they almoust cant be compared.
for rock n roll the econowave is something else, much higher efficiency, more bass punch with a distinct smack from a compression driver. but the midrange can be a bit flat and boring on these large woofers.
Lxmini has a more spacious acoustic scene, midrange depth and air to it.
both are good but shine in different places, all comes down to what music you like to listen to, and volume level.
Old 28th October 2014, 03:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Having recently heard the LXmini and some of Zilch's original Econowave designs a couple of years back I would have to say that it depends on what you want to listen to, how loud you would like to listen, and the size of your listening space. SL commented that the LXminis are not for larger spaces. I wouldn't even try them in a "mid sized" room. Also you need to have them pointed at the listening location much more than with the Plutos because of the larger sized HF driver. In a small room and augmented by the low end room response these would be excellent in terms of imaging and reproduction even if total max SPL is limited.

On the other hand, for better dynamics and SPL the Econowave designs deliver good quality sound. This would be my choice for higher SPL and impact. They are great for rock and HT use. They do have a bigger footprint and less WAF potential.

Each has strengths and weaknesses. You should make the call on which is right for you.
Old 28th October 2014, 04:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
I wouldn't even try them in a "mid sized" room. Also you need to have them pointed at the listening location much more than with

What do you consider a mid sized room?

Volume level isn't all that important (i need to keep the neighbors happy). Its the "directional" aspect of the lxminis that scares me. It's more of a room I hang out in, instead of sit in a chair and listen.
Old 28th October 2014, 04:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaka24 View Post
What do you consider a mid sized room?
Mid-sized for me is something around 12x15 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaka24 View Post
Volume level isn't all that important (i need to keep the neighbors happy). Its the "directional" aspect of the lxminis that scares me. It's more of a room I hang out in, instead of sit in a chair and listen.
With the LXmini you will also get reflections off of all the room surfaces. If there are many hard surfaces this will "brighten" the overall tonal balance, and that will make up for and help to augment the increasing directionality of the HF driver at the top end of its range. The speaker in general is not directional, only the top end. I wouldn't use it in a "dead" room for this reason.
Old 28th October 2014, 04:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

on paper they would be more directional than a waveguide, but the imaging doesnt feel that way to me, if i shift in front of one speaker i can tell the other speaker is still working on the center image.
not so for my other box speakers.
Old 28th October 2014, 04:59 PM   #7
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I built 5 different versions of the Ewave so I am very biased. I can't imagine the LX sounding better....but not having heard them, I can't say, but I know you can't go wrong with the Ewave.

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Old 28th October 2014, 08:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

is my USB DAC rendered useless using the MINIDSP since it does ADC DAC Conversions?

IS it recommended to get the SPDIF IN/OUTs and ess9023 dac addons to go along with it?

Sorry, also i'm a little confused about sample rates and what is potentially allowed. (mini dsp alone only 48khz?

thanks!
Old 28th October 2014, 08:24 PM   #9
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Get the miniDSP called miniDIGI. It has spdif inputs and Toslink outputs. You will need your own DAC's.

Last edited by xrk971; 28th October 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 28th October 2014, 08:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

my DAC is only USB - so there's no way to use that, correcT?

Hide this!Advertise here!