Anyone else who likes repairing old speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2014, 11:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone else who likes repairing old speakers?

Hello.
Couple weeks ago i started repairing my old crappy speakers to make them useable again. Thought i might go to the forum and ask if anyone else likes repairing old speakers and maybe could have some tips or tricks on repairing.
Now working on two 1979 vintage woofers, one 8" and a 10", both with huge alnico magnets.
Old 28th October 2014, 03:05 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Yes, some of us do, though often to improve performance Vs just fixing them.

BTW, what brand/model are they?

Please have a moderator move this to the MULTI-WAY forum since its not a single driver [~full-range] speaker and browse the internet for other forums that are either specific to a brand such as Altec, JBL, RadioShack, Sony, Marantz, etc., or at least have brand specific threads like many AVS forums have plus there's vintage only forums, though ATM I don't have access to my list of web links.

WRT to tips/tricks, these tend to be brand/model specific, though of course loosening up stiff suspensions or replacing surrounds already have 'how-to' threads here at DIYaudio and other forums and all caps generally need replacing, and if truly vintage, then IMNSHO, only PIO should be used as well as for upgrading any XOs that have lesser quality caps. I'll even go so far as to recommend motor run caps to replace any of the old large can caps, especially if driven with period correct electronics as they should be to perform originally as intended.

Since it's been some years now, I'll re-post this for any 'newbies' to decide for themselves whether the potentially higher cost may [not] be worth it, especially if driven with an output impedance [amp + speaker wire run] < ~ 0.8 ohms: The "Sound" of Capacitors

AlNiCo magnets often need to be drained, re-zapped to return them to somewhere close to what they were when new if they were either used in any sort of commercial application and/or show signs of physical abuse [VC overheating, magnet chipped, etc.].

GM
Old 28th October 2014, 05:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I bought 6 old speakes last weekend. Two went into the trash after removing their acousta foam. The other four have been gutted (I may use a tweeter or woofer from them) and will sit piled nicely in my closet until I decide what to do with them.
Old 28th October 2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

A moderator likes this kind of thread so he moved it over to multiway.

More than repair, I like to repurpose things. There are some nice old drivers hidden in those second hand stores. Often the cabinets are in bad shape or were never good to begin with so for the most part, I remove the drivers and find another use for them.

Because I am a Speakerholic, I have many of those kind of drivers.
Old 28th October 2014, 06:22 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I know a repurposing speakerholic with a basement full of drivers and enclosures - you two should compare notes
Old 28th October 2014, 11:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

hello sovietaudio
i'm currently refurbushing an old pair of Grundig Lautsprecher Box 40 speakers but the list of speakers i've refurbished over the years is long (a good many sound reinforcement cabs too)
what sort of project tips are you looking for.
like GM stated a lot can be found on user group sites depending on what you have.
i also like Cal's philosophy and have re purposed many a thrift store find.old drivers into new boxes (kinda like Habitat for Humanity but for speakers!)
Old 29th October 2014, 05:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default I am coming to terms with reality...

My nickname is Duda and I am a Speakerholic...
Old 29th October 2014, 08:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Greets!

Yes, some of us do, though often to improve performance Vs just fixing them.

BTW, what brand/model are they?

Please have a moderator move this to the MULTI-WAY forum since its not a single driver [~full-range] speaker and browse the internet for other forums that are either specific to a brand such as Altec, JBL, RadioShack, Sony, Marantz, etc., or at least have brand specific threads like many AVS forums have plus there's vintage only forums, though ATM I don't have access to my list of web links.

WRT to tips/tricks, these tend to be brand/model specific, though of course loosening up stiff suspensions or replacing surrounds already have 'how-to' threads here at DIYaudio and other forums and all caps generally need replacing, and if truly vintage, then IMNSHO, only PIO should be used as well as for upgrading any XOs that have lesser quality caps. I'll even go so far as to recommend motor run caps to replace any of the old large can caps, especially if driven with period correct electronics as they should be to perform originally as intended.

Since it's been some years now, I'll re-post this for any 'newbies' to decide for themselves whether the potentially higher cost may [not] be worth it, especially if driven with an output impedance [amp + speaker wire run] < ~ 0.8 ohms: The "Sound" of Capacitors

AlNiCo magnets often need to be drained, re-zapped to return them to somewhere close to what they were when new if they were either used in any sort of commercial application and/or show signs of physical abuse [VC overheating, magnet chipped, etc.].

GM
The speakers are "Radiotehnika" speakers the bigger one is from S-90 box and smaller one is from S-50 box. Magnets seem to be all right, both of them had their coils nearly burned ( severe decoloration ), the bigger one had a coper foil lining inside the voice coil for cooling but it unglued itself because of the heat. Now i'm lookin' for something to make/support my new coil when i wind it, from what i know RedBull cans are a perfect fit to make the 10" speaker's coil on.
Old 1st November 2014, 11:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Little update.
Here's the 10" incase anyone wanted to see it.
Click the image to open in full size.
And the freshly wound voice coil.
Click the image to open in full size.
Right next to it is about the same size coil that you would see inside a 12cm woofer ( for size reference )

Last edited by SovietAudio; 1st November 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!