The WAF. A F.A.S.T. Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM   #1
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default The WAF. A F.A.S.T. Build

I finally found some time to put together a pair of speakers for my living room. I originally decided to build a large-ish rear loaded horn. I brought in a rough prototype and my wife decided it was much too large. I then proceeded to build a smaller horn only to find it was also "too large"! So I asked my wife what would be acceptable. She said and I quote, "I want them to disappear in the room". Now I have some reasonable skill in regard to woodworking and the like, but I'm no Harry Houdini. But after a little thought I made a plan and have started to move forward. I find it very hard to find spare time so I'm giving myself a few hours over 2 or 3 weekends, no more, so the difficulty on this will be considered moderate.

I purchased a pair of EL70's from Planet10 audio about 2 years ago and have still not used them (been busy). These will serve as an OB Fullrange to take care of midrange and top end duties.

The lower octaves will be taken handled by Dayton Audio 225P woofers in a small vented cabinet (a little over .5ft3).

The crossover will be a passive 12db alignment. I have lots of parts kicking around and am I'm using this opportunity to use some of them. For the most parts they are from Solen. For now the crossover point will be between 200hz and 300hz.

The cabinet for the woofer is being constructed by laminating layers of cabinet plywood with a few layers of MDF at the rear portion. I plan to use MDF because the crossover is exposed and I'll be covering this section with flocking to keep things simple. I will then be wrapping the cabinet with waterfall Bubinga veneer and finishing them with a few sealer and lacquer coats.

The main baffle will be made from 1/2" Lexan (Marguard). This material is very easy to work with and is relatively scratch resistant.

I'll start posting pictures soon. My computer just died and I can't seem to use my iPad to do so.
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #2
Aad is offline Aad  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hey FozzZ,
Posting images from an iPad shouldn't be a problem.

Aad

(I have still some EL70's on the shelf, so can't wait for the images )

Hide this!Advertise here!