Seas Excel W15 crossed over at 4 kHz - bad idea??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, there. I've read so many great things about the Seas W15, and I'm trying to use them with a pair of B&W CDM-1 tweeters for a car stereo application. The problem is the tweeters are designed to be crossed over at 3.7kHz at 18db/octave, and the W15 response supposedly gets funky above 3kHz or so. I was wondering if anyone who has experience has any suggestions here? I would be bi-amping and using 2nd order active filters. The link for the Seas specs is here: http://www.madisound.com/seas/e015.pdf

Thank you!

Derrick

I have tried and used 3500hz active 2nd order with a scan 95000 simply put they sounded brilliant. 4000hz imo wont! be a problem, I have used 4k with them with the KX with the soundblaster soundcards using DSP. The still sounded fine no problems whatsoever, yes I would argue that you would be better at a lower freq but unless your using them for critical listening in a super good hifi you wont hear it, especially in a car environment. Indeed I have used them full range to see exactly what they sound like, they dont sound bad at all, the res peak actually makes them more listenable full range then drivers without it. The sound is unatural but its by no means unpleasent. Xovered at 4k should be fine, using a 2nd order active xover with a Q cut (ie res trap) can be made to give a 4th order acoustic linkwitz riley.

Hey, thanks for the info, 5th element. I guess I'm a bit concerned about those nasty peaks from 7-10kHz which will barely get suppressed one octave above a 2nd order low-pass filter. The other concern is I'll be using these drivers way off-axis (since it's car stereo), so and the 30 degree off-axis starts diving off around 3-4kHz.

Have you heard anything good about the Focal 5W4211? Or the Audax HM130CO? Those seem to have better high-freq extension without peaks that need steep filters. Thanks!

Derrick

The excel doesnt "need" steep filters if you tame the res peak with a notch filter, although every little helps, so steep xovers low freq and res trap, will squash the peak the most but is not entirely necessary.

I have not heard the other drivers personally, but Audax drivers get good reviews most of the time and I know the carbon ones are no exception to that. The focal units also get good reviews, but from what I have heard are harder to work with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.