Faital pro 12 fh 510 mid horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys, a buddy asked me for some advice on building a small midhorn for his faital pro fh510s.

he'll be crossing at 250hz to a kickbin, and 1.2khz to a 2" comp driver.

now.... I'm terrible at mid simming...

I started with a 1 segment, conical horn. s1 of 81cm sq, which results in a 9cm square. going larger with s1 results in significant lost of top end (in the sim). He is concerned that such a small opening "doesnt look right", and is "too small".

Is he right? am I crazy for thinking a throat that small will work?

heres the sim

Attachments

• midhornfaitalfh510.jpg
    midhornfaitalfh510.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 281
thanks for all your help guys..................................

anyways, heres how it turned out. I'm only responsible for the dual 15 clamshell and the mid horn. both parts sound good imo. the 3 tweeters are... not ideal, but thats what my friend wanted.

Attachments

• 10527360_10202197134644446_4821822432837102991_n.jpg
    10527360_10202197134644446_4821822432837102991_n.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 219
He is concerned that such a small opening "doesnt look right", and is "too small".

Is he right? am I crazy for thinking a throat that small will work?

Well how high is the compression ratio on the 2" HF driver? Pretty high I imagine. Everything crammed thru little bitty holes in the phase plug.

I ended up using a 3/4"x6" slot for a mid horn throat, crossing at 1.5k with no problems. Yours doesn't look funny at all. Catching hell over the supertweeters flanking the horn.... oh well, can't win them all.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
clam shells

thanks for all your help guys..................................

anyways, heres how it turned out. I'm only responsible for the dual 15 clamshell and the mid horn. both parts sound good imo. the 3 tweeters are... not ideal, but thats what my friend wanted.

I like the way you did the clam shell for the bass drivers. I thought about doing something similar, but with the drivers reversed such that the magnets are visible to the listener, and then affixing some wooden structures to couple the two magnets together physically, for an attempt at (maybe partial?) reaction-forced cancellation.

I thought about that, but only got to actually heat the cabs briefly (my friend lives 100 of miles away.

Considering he wants to get up to 250hz with the 15, I decided it was a good idea not to expose the back of the driver for fear it might muddy the sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.