help me use two free 15" drivers!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my roommate was going through his stuff and realized he has 2 orion 15" car audio woofers that he's never used before. they seem ok. they work anyways. i have the specs for them, and i will post at the end of this.

i dont want to build something that i will necessarily USE, but just to play around really... what should i do? size doesnt matter. i was wanting to do a labhorn kinda thing, but the design uses 12" drivers, and not this one of course. i dont even know what to look for in the specs to see what its good for...

here are specs:

Orion XTR 15 DVC (dual 4 ohm voice coil)

impedance - 4 ohm
Re - 3.47 ohm
Levc - 0.77mH
SPLo @ 2.83v - 95.37 dB
Fo - 29.76
Qms - 2.7
Qes - 0.67
Qts - 0.53
BL - 9.0 TM
Sd - 0.0824 sq M
Vas - 331.46 Litres
Vas - 11.7 cu ft.
Xmax - 9.2 mm
Pmax - 800 watts

thanks guys!

p.s. - woohoo, 1,000th post!

after hooking it up to a stereo amp and playing some test tones through one woofer, it seems like it doesnt go all that low... it starts to really roll off at like 60hz or so. it can BARELY do 40 and below.

in WinISD it shows dimensions for a sealed box, maybe ill give it a go. i just dont think it would have enough umph for an open baffle or anything like that.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Fs=30
Vas=almost 12 Ft³
Sensitivity=95 dB ( I would like to know how that was measured, this being a DVC)
Qts=.53

These look like free airs.

If you ever wondered what a dipole sounds like, this sure sounds like the speaker to try it with. At 9 mm, it has a nice long excursion, too.

Grab a board, mount it, prop it up, and have fun.

You could do a half Linkwitz Phoenix woofer with one of the 15-inchers in each box, instead of two 12" drivers.

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 378
is there any ryhme or reason to the size of the baffle? or is it just as big or as small as i want?

i was kinda hoping someone would say they would work for a dipole baffle :) ive been curious to try one.

kelticwizard said:
Fs=30
Vas=almost 12 Ft³
Sensitivity=95 dB ( I would like to know how that was measured, this being a DVC)
Qts=.53

These look like free airs.

If you ever wondered what a dipole sounds like, this sure sounds like the speaker to try it with. At 9 mm, it has a nice long excursion, too.

Grab a board, mount it, prop it up, and have fun.

cool! i used the spreadsheet and the driver actually looks like it should be decent with a bit of power running into it.

the box will house two drivers, be around 4 feet tall. its gonna be BIG. if it sucks, i will only be out $20 or whatever for the MDF.

i was going to do something like this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=177932#post177932

mine will just be a bit taller. hehe, i have maggies too :)

well, since this is a "free" project, i went out and found a couple inductors to use as a cheap first-order crossover. they are 4.7mH, so that crosses over at ~135hz (the speakers are at 4 ohm). This should work. it will be powered from the LFE on my receiver, but even with using it while testing, i got a bit of voices through the sub. the sub really goes pretty high, i was surprised.

we will see how it fares in the end. if the thing even works well, it will get a deserving crossover. btw, this thing will be HEAVY. it uses an entire sheet of 1" thick MDF, and with the drivers, its VERY difficult for one person to lift im sure.

kelticwizard said:
Great!

Let us know how it works. Where do you plan to cross over?

heavy

If you want heavy, you should see my next subwoofer project, now in construction. It is double-layered MDF all around. I can barely lift it, and it is not yet even loaded with drivers! I am stil waiting for the Stryke AV12 driver, but John (proprietor of Stryke) has not returned a single one of my emails since right before Christmas regarding my driver, and as far as I know it has still not shipped (which I find quite bothersome since several weeks have since passed).

nah, size isnt an issue. hell, i have a magnepan HT setup in that room :) i think i can spare another few cubic feet of space.

we will see. this was a "i was bored" project. plus, i was REALLY intrigued by the "my first di-pole subwoofer" thread. they looked so simple, with such cheap drivers, but i guess it turned out swimmingly. i hope mine fares half as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.