Help needed identifying compression driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2014, 01:51 PM   #1
dave123 is offline dave123  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help needed identifying compression driver

I've been given a pair of compression drivers. they look like B&C DE250 and Denovo DNA-360. I have no DE250 but I A/B compared them with my DNA-360s and couldn't detect any sonic difference. they look exactly alike up close and personal. any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dna.jpg (43.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (79.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (62.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (65.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (100.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (111.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (65.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (70.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (53.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (98.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 11th October 2014, 07:15 AM   #2
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

The polyimide diaphragm of the B&C is brown/orangish..and all of the B&C drivers I have had used plastic phase plugs.

B&C MMD250-8 Diaphragm For DE250-8
Old 11th October 2014, 07:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
The polyimide diaphragm of the B&C is brown/orangish..and all of the B&C drivers I have had used plastic phase plugs.

B&C MMD250-8 Diaphragm For DE250-8
thanks for the idea
my thoughts are on Denovo DNA-360. the diaphragm of Denovo is white and they are totally identical. I would mistake this no-name baby with my own Denovo if there were any cosmetics on it!
I may do some measurement and compare it with Denovo. I think this product is sourced from the company which Denovo works with. if two unused sit side by side, one can't distinguish
Old 11th October 2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, anybody got a link to Denovo's www ?

TIA
Old 11th October 2014, 07:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
Hi, anybody got a link to Denovo's www ?

TIA

still under construction: Denovo Audio
I bet Denovo is a concocted brand that take parts form Chinese OEM companies and selling them to as own production. in Guangdong of China there are lots of OEM service providers who can build almost anything! you want a hen that lays golden eggs? buy a two way ticket to Guangdong
what you see in above pictures is bought 22USD/each by a friend. I'm 99.99% sure it's identical to DNA-360 which is 79USD/each. it's not to say Denovo is bad, this CD performs very well. there are good items among cheap Chinese productions.
Old 12th October 2014, 08:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

@ dave123

Thanx for replying.

Quote:
denovoaudio.com

Creation Date: 17-Sep-2011

Updated Date: 08-Sep-2014

whois = launchpad.com = LaunchPad is HostGator's own domain registrar
So the've been "still under construction" for some time ! & whois does NOT list who the Real owner is/are ! I guess you're right about the China connection & repro's etc. Amazing prices even so. & the fact they measured almost the same is remarkable.
Old 12th October 2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Flaesh is offline Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

China ''B&C"?
Driver - Shop Cheap Driver from China Driver Suppliers at Guangzhou Yinuo Technology Co.,Ltd on Aliexpress.com e. g.
Old 13th October 2014, 01:37 AM   #8
Scaper is offline Scaper  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave123, you mentioned that you compared them and they look exactly alike. But the Denovo DNA-360 doesn't have a white diaphragm like the one in the photo, nor the same phase plug, or the large round piece of foam under the back cover. They're actually quite different and I can say for 100% sure those aren't the DNA-360.

The Denovo site is mine, I just haven't had any time to update it. Virtually all of my time is spent on the DIY Sound Group website.

There's no concocted branding or anything quite that mysterious going on. A few years ago on the AVS forum I was helping out with some buy out subwoofers from Eminence. Eminence wanted me to have a business name, so I came up with "Denovo" to satisfy the request. It sounded okay, so I registered the site....but never did much of anything with it.

There was a big group effort years ago on all the audio DIY forums (including this one) to get the SEOS-12 waveguide made up in plastic. During that time I was contacted by a gentlemen in California that was working on a compression driver that tested slightly better than the DE250. He gave me the 2 manufacturing companies that produce the different parts, and after testing a few I ordered them. The diaphragm manufacturer is very well known. That's the fairly unexciting tale of the DNA-360.

You can find hundreds of small companies selling parts that look like JBL, B&C, FaitalPro, etc. But I'd watch out when dealing with some of those other unknown companies on Ali-Express. They might send you decent samples, but when you order a larger quantity, who knows what you will get. Many times they're a manufacturers rejected units that are much cheaper than the good ones. That's how those small "companies" make their money. Most of those 'stores' aren't real, just people working their way through college that happen to live next to the manufacturers.

Last edited by Scaper; 13th October 2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 13th October 2014, 02:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

@ Scaper

Thanx for the info, mystery solved.
Old 13th October 2014, 02:53 AM   #10
Scaper is offline Scaper  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry I couldn't make it more exciting!

Hide this!Advertise here!