Driver Search: 3-3.5" Mids, 90dB+ / 2.83V, 500-3k

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look, the 4ohm scanspeak is rated 89.8dB@2.83V.
But 2.83V into 4 ohms is not 1 Watt, its 2W!
Thats only 86.8dB/1W vs 91dB/1W for 3FE22.
But all 3FE22 and kin are not created equal.

3FE22's come in several ohm flavors, only the 4ohm
appears to offer true 91dB/W. The higher ohm units
are clearly measured in the spec sheet's graph not
anything like 91dB, and the Qts' are higher, and the
half space efficiencys are lower too.

Before you believe any of those other Faitals are all
91dB (especially the ferrite ones) , better look those
spec sheet graphs and ask if this really adds up to 91
or not. You can't take -0.4 Tesla out of the motor and
offer the same dB/W for Ferrite.

You can put a diffraction slot in front to widen up the
dispersion at the cost of maybe needing more Eq.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/238556-slot-over-speaker-offset-increasing-directvity.html
See Freddi's post #8 regarding Kolster Brandes slot diffuser

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There's no reason to compromise and go to 4" if it doesn't get me more output than the Faital, which I don't thinnnk I'd be getting from FE103 versions (except possibly the anniversary one, but I wonder if they listed xmax p-to-p for that?). Here's a graph 3FE22 and FE103-SOL, for no particular reason except I made it so might as well post it.

I have the 3FE22 - a great driver. I only suggested the 4FE35 because it has more xmax. The ferrite ones are huge compared to the Nd ones so I wouldn't be surprised if the sensitivity are similar. Qts of ferrite is lower but that is not a bad thing for sealed or OB. I even use the ferrite in a TQWT mass loaded (mini Karlsonator) and it sounds fantastic there.

Which curve is the 3FE22?

If you are willing to go to 5in my favorite currently is the PRV 5MR450NDY - 200Hz to 15kHz 95dB.

Last edited:
The green curves are the 3FE22 (8Ω), the others are the Fostex. Any more than just slightly larger drivers in frame and/or diaphragm really make a mess of the design (acoustically) here. I think I can make the 3FE22 work if I go to a steeper acoustic slope than planned, but the LF filter may get impractical in that case. Need more building and measurements to find out for sure, hopefully this weekend. I would like a backup driver plan or two for more output, regardless.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.