MDF on a lathe?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My advice is don't do it. I tried trueing up an MDF disc I was making into a sanding disc once. It was a very messy process in terms of the amount of dust. the stuff doesn't seem to cut cleanly anyway, no matter how sharp the tools are. Theres also the fact the dust is pretty toxic - the end product wouldn't be worth the risk of breathing in the dust particles.

but with that said, this guy seemed not to have many problems

http://vincent.brient.free.fr/round_horns.htm

Use a respirator rated at P100 not P95. Watch out when you run your tool from mdf to the glue joint. Other than quickly dulling your tool edge it's nice to work on the lathe. P100 half mask by 3M could save you a $100K lung operation 30 years from now. Nobody really know long term about MDF.

I completely disagree with...

"MDF dust is thin but no thinner than sand or maybe dust which just a hankercheif over your mouth will stop"

One could say the same of asbestos, in fact they did, manufacturers said it's long strands and can be filtered very easy. Tell that to all the people who have 10% lung capacity now from breathing it through hankercheifs.

Probably it is true that minimal exposure will not be problematic...they are your lungs, I'll leave it to you.
c.

Caution

MDF should be very easy to carve on a lathe, but it's literally made of dust, so wear a good dust mask and goggles. It has been known to cause respiratory problems for woodworkers in the long term. At any rate, equip your shop with a POWERFUL dust collection system.

I wonder if there's a lathe with a built-in dust collector...:D

okay sorry for possibly misleading the idea of the dus being harmless, i know that it is not, but people tend to fuss over things too much, those people with lung problems from asbestos use were using the product dangerously for 6 hours a day for amny years, With no protection.
My sugestion, wear a cheap dust mask as the dust falls and tends not to spread around alot like gas and fumes. Also have some form of dust extraction, easiest is have someone else with a mask to manually hold a vacuum or dust sucker and collect the dust as it is sprayed out, this will mean that very little dust reaches the users.
Remember that this is most likely a one off job and wil pertain minimal dust breathin.
Personally i wouldsay the more important thing is safety glasses to protect your delicate eyes, it only take one small fast splinter to ensure that you will have permanent loss of sight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.