Can car speakers work in a box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it possible to build a nice DIY home speaker cabinet with 4 ohm car speakers? Like a pair of 6.5" coaxials in the same box with a 10" sub designed for automotive use?

I ask because I already have a JL 10" sub and have access to car speakers more readily than "home" speakers.

a car speaker is usually designated because of material construction and impedance....they are basically designed to work in smaller enclosures...that is a brief explanation......and for your JL driver it would make a fine sub for home use aslong as you had the right amplifier to drive it

I have to second that. I picked up two Rage 12" subs from Audio Concepts, and loaded them into 2 cu. ft. (net) sealed enclosures. These drivers are dual voice coil units, each coil rated four ohms, 100 watts. The active crossover in my Yamaha receiver has a crosspoint of 90 Hz, and I'm running the sub out from the receiver into an old QSC model 5.1 power amp, rated at 120 WRMS per channel into four ohms.

The second driver will be used in an identical two cu. ft. box as a bass guitar cab. For the bass, I'll probably run the coils in series, and power the driver with a 200 - 250 watt (into eight ohms) bass head. Since the driver was designed for sub applications, I will likely need to use tens or eights for mid-hi, with an active crossover, turnover frequency to be determined.

The point is, decent car subs can work well in other applications. At USD $39.00 per driver, I could not resist, and so far, I have no regrets.

dooper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.