New 5" Satori MW13P - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2014, 04:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New 5" Satori MW13P

Looks like the rumours were true, at least for the new smaller version

Here's the 4ohm SB Acoustics :: 5'' SATORI MW13P-4

The cone size is slightly smaller than most 5 inchers judging by the overall frame diameter

v good off-axis performance, esp up to 4khz- altho it has quite a sizeable dip around 1.5khz, similar to it's larger sibling.

I hope they release a 7" next !

Last edited by Bill poster; 2nd October 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Interesting that it's still got the same midrange dip. Hoping they come out with a 3.5-4" version to blend in with tweeters.
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would have thought this to be their smallest Satori offering - yeah its frustrating to see that dip there, whether it will be audible or not (depending on x/o) is a question that will be answered at some point.

Expect a 7.5 - 8" Satori soon too
Old 3rd October 2014, 12:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here is the published measurement with Dayton's published measurement of their DS135-8, for no particular reason except that I was looking at the Dayton recently. Scales matched and aligned. Obviously different measurement conditions as far as the LF.
Attached Images
File Type: gif temp.gif (88.2 KB, 370 views)
Old 3rd October 2014, 12:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

similar 4dB dip.. ok maybe the satori dip just stands out as its pretty well behaved elsewhere
Old 4th October 2014, 06:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Could the 1.5Khz SPL dip come from resonant reflections back from the cone edge?

(13,550 in/sec) / (1,500 cycles/sec) dip = 9" / cycle

which is about a 2x trip distance out-and-back on the cone = resonance
Old 4th October 2014, 07:24 PM   #7
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Could the 1.5Khz SPL dip come from resonant reflections back from the cone edge?

(13,550 in/sec) / (1,500 cycles/sec) dip = 9" / cycle

which is about a 2x trip distance out-and-back on the cone = resonance
Yup. You're right. This sort of notch in frequency response comes from an overly soft and undamped edge termination. It's to do with the surround rather than the cone. I think Joachim Gerhard commented that this sort of thing is not overly offensive. Dips are better than peaks in frequency response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I will make my own impedance measurements today.
One first commend : The cones of the mid woofer are trumped shaped and from a paper material that contains papyrus fibers. That makes the cones very stiff. Together with the impedance compensation that results in a very extended bandwidth up to 10kHz, as good as many wide band drivers. There is a small hole in the response at ca.1.3kHz. That comes from the very low mechanical damping of the rubber surround. It would be easy to take that away by using a high damping surround or edge coating but that would have increased mechanical losses. It was decided that good dynamic behavior is more important then a small and benign hole in the response. I will measure the units i have here of cause. The data sheet is only priliminary and i am using the 4 Ohm version that may behave differently.
Exactly.
Old 5th October 2014, 02:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Even after reading the above, which is well explained, stilltrying to understand how the rubber surround causes a response dip (at that frequency), I'm not an engineer
The cone is transmitting the sound, but the dip corresponds with the width of the cone itself? If the surround was inverted, would that have made any difference ?
Old 5th October 2014, 06:52 PM   #9
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm a bit vague on this myself.

Klippel usually have enough interesting Know-How information on cones to thoroughly confuse us too: Literature

I suspect that 1.5 kHz is the point on the SB Acoustics :: 5'' SATORI MW13P-8 where the speaker ceases to be pistonic. You can see something going on in the impedance too, which says something about the mechanical load seen by the voicecoil.

The edge termination then determines whether the edge is effectively unterminated and flapping as with a foam surround, optimally damped as in heavy rubber surround, or held rigid as with a corrugated paper surround.

3 different situations which affect the standing waves on the cone, but for sure surround damping will absorb energy and worsen frequency response and the Qms of the speaker. And in practice, the spider can apply the necessary restoring force too.
Old 5th October 2014, 07:57 PM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Even after reading the above, which is well explained, stilltrying to understand how the rubber surround causes a response dip (at that frequency), I'm not an engineer
The cone is transmitting the sound, but the dip corresponds with the width of the cone itself? If the surround was inverted, would that have made any difference ?
Hi,

Inverting the surround its unlikely to change things much.

Note the the slight rise in driver impedance at the dip.

This indicates some sort of standing wave phenomena in
the cone. Without knowing the relative influence of the
spider and surround on the Fs Qms its hard to generalise
it could be easily fixed but would become a worse driver.

rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!