Peerless 850488 FS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2004, 07:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless 850488 FS

Hi

Just checked the TS params of my new drivers:

Vifa M22 fs of 30hz checks out spot on with the specs but the Peerless 850488 shows an fs of 43hz when Peerless says around 59hz.

Anyone else measured this driver?

Mos
Old 18th January 2004, 09:14 AM   #2
michael is offline michael  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to michael
i havent measured or used the driver but it has been noted in past discusions that peerless drivers work in enclosures designed for their specs even with the "different specs".
hope that makes sense
Old 18th January 2004, 09:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Michael:

Yep, it does make sense and the fact is that the 850488 is going to be used for midrange duties in a sealed enclosure so any variance in the fs won't be hypercritical.

I'm sure glad the M22 came out spot on though

Mos
Old 18th January 2004, 09:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

might i ask the details of this project you are undertaking, it sounds interesting.
Old 18th January 2004, 09:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just a bog-standard 3-way, really.

2 x Vifa M22 woofers
1 x Peerless 850488 mid
1 x Vifa XT25 tweeter

M22s were designed to work in samll bass reflex cabs of around 30L so I'll be in around 60, with the 488 and Xt25 in a sealed sub enclosure.

Cabs will have either laminated curved sides or I'll use a CNC routed translam sandwich approach. I've gotta make up my mind on that in the next week.

Using LSPCad for design, measuring and xo work. Big learning curve. Have just ordered a Panasonic electret mic for measuring the drivers when I get them in the cabs.

Driver overlaps look good so I can probaly get away with a 2nd order LR at maybe 350 and 3000hz. Measurement will confirm this though.

Took me ages to choose the drives and I went through many design dead-ends. I've bought drivers that I'm confident will work very well together with good passbands enabling me to minimise some headaches.

Got the drivers from WES in Sydney. Good blokes.

Now looking for a good source of binding posts, etc. WES' selection was a bit lacking in that respect.

Now that the drivers have arrived and I've had the mulitmeter at them I feel quite good. Long way to go though. Hoping to have some audible results in mid-late February.

Mos
Old 18th January 2004, 09:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well good luck to you Mos, you should start a thread as soon as you take some pics of the drivers, do it from top to bottom, also if you want a site to host the project etc ill help ya out as i want to spread project information for ppl looking for free designs. i know i had trouble sorting through sites.
Old 18th January 2004, 10:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yep, I'm keen to do that. I need to acquire a cheap digicam to make the pic taking process easier.
Old 18th January 2004, 11:00 AM   #8
nuppe is offline nuppe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default I'll be measuring those drivers soon...

Hi Mos!

I have a pair of those drivers (850488) sitting right next to me, and i intend to measure them, but i haven't gotten around to do it just yet.

I'm doing a three way too, but with a CSX 257 (850146) 10" and a DT 100 H (811827) tweeter. Initially i'm goin to cross passively at about 200Hz and 2kHz, but later (probably a lot later) i'm going active.

I'm going to build a prototype box to measure them in.
I'll be using a behringer ecm 8000 mic with a ub802 mixer and speaker workshop. This will be my first try at measuring speakers so i'm not sure i'll get it right straight away.

As soon as i'm done i'll post the results on the forum.
(Just don't hold your breath, it might be a while until i get some useful results)

Good luck with those threeways, sounds like they're gonna be cool!

/Andreas
Old 18th January 2004, 02:30 PM   #9
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi nuppe

Have a think about running the 850488 a bit higher, maybe up to 3000Hz, as they are an excellent driver......deserves to be let loose.

The 811827 tweeter has an Fs of 1170hz and you'll need a very steep slope on the xo for 2000Hz.

Just a thought.....
Old 19th January 2004, 01:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Nuppe. Rabbitz

Yep, that 488 seems to want to go high. Even my planned xo of 3000 might be conservative. Had some Holly Cole playing through one last night. Her voice sounded great.

I had a design for 2 x 850146 10" in a closed box + 488 + xt25 but the box would have been huge. Bass would have been pretty sweet though.

Considered firing that 146 sideways and enabling a narrow baffle for your mid/tweet? Rabbitz and I had a discussion about that some time ago. I chickened out. Went conventional

Mos

Hide this!Advertise here!