Seas Trym - Veneer Choices and More - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2004, 03:44 AM   #1
Monroe is offline Monroe  Canada
diyAudio Member

Smile Seas Trym - Veneer Choices and More

Hi!

I've (99% sure) decided to go with building a pair of slightly modified Seas Trym speakers (the 22cm excel woofer and the 002 tweeter, crossed over at 1.6k).

Before shelling out for the drivers, i've decided to build the cabinets (the most fun part anyhow [well, maybe 2nd most, i really liked putting the crossovers togeather last time]) - I've sawed up the MDF and am looking at veneers.

I tried out some different color combos in photoshop (see pic - #1 is the picture on the seas web site), and I think that i'll go with #8. The back is rosewood, which I ordered in an auction, but I'm not sure what wood would be best to use for the front, to get that look - any ideas?

A question also, about the seas speakers, and this one in particular: how will they likely compare to commercial designs? I havn't listed much to many high end speakers - the set i've heard the most is the B&W CDM1-SE (their second-from-top range, i believe) - those speakers cost more than twice as much, and have smaller (6 inch or so) woofers. Any ideas how the seas speakers would compare?

Also, one last Q (so excited, so many questions!): Looking at the seas sensitivity plots (for the different kits), i see that the Trym is slightly less even than the others - does this mean that the sound quality will be inferior, and if so, how signifigantly? I assume there is more to the sound than the response plot - right?

Thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trym-colors.jpg (88.1 KB, 726 views)
Old 18th January 2004, 06:48 AM   #2
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Well, The Seas Excel range is considered one of the finest available, but the woofers are tricky to use, so using an established design as you are is a good idea. They should seriously good!

I liked similar or the same veneer on the front and sides.
Old 18th January 2004, 07:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Seas Trym - Veneer Choices and More

Quote:
Originally posted by Monroe

A question also, about the seas speakers, and this one in particular: how will they likely compare to commercial designs? I havn't listed much to many high end speakers - the set i've heard the most is the B&W CDM1-SE (their second-from-top range, i believe) - those speakers cost more than twice as much, and have smaller (6 inch or so) woofers. Any ideas how the seas speakers would compare?

Also, one last Q (so excited, so many questions!): Looking at the seas sensitivity plots (for the different kits), i see that the Trym is slightly less even than the others - does this mean that the sound quality will be inferior, and if so, how signifigantly? I assume there is more to the sound than the response plot - right?

Nope, but is it important?

You just have to use more power to get the same SPL levels. In normal conditions 50W-100W will be sufficient. And if your room isn't a ballroom, you can get away with halve of that. It depends on your preferred listeninglevel and the size of your listening room.
Old 18th January 2004, 08:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Seas Trym - Veneer Choices and More

Quote:
Originally posted by LaMa

Nope, but is it important?

You just have to use more power to get the same SPL levels. In normal conditions 50W-100W will be sufficient. And if your room isn't a ballroom, you can get away with halve of that. It depends on your preferred listeninglevel and the size of your listening room.
I don't mind having a lower sensitivity, and I certainly wont be playing it at really high levels.

But - i was wondering more about the shape and (relative lack of) flatness of the graph, more than its average height.

Does it matter if the graph is less flat? My goal is sound quality at low and mid volumes (~20-50 watts input), not quantity or volume of sound.

-Dave
Old 19th January 2004, 07:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

bUmP
Old 19th January 2004, 07:15 PM   #6
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

How about a link to the Trym plans?
Old 19th January 2004, 08:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I really like number 5 myself.. but I think it's up to you
Recently I bought a pair of Tannoy mR speakers and they are black, with the baffle made of cherry. They look really stylish!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1119 (small).jpg (37.4 KB, 574 views)
Old 19th January 2004, 11:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Stylish speaker...

The cherry front on yours turned out close to what i was looking for - perhaps thats what i need ...
Old 19th January 2004, 11:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ScottRHinson
Default Re: Seas Trym - Veneer Choices and More

Quote:
Originally posted by Monroe
Hi!

I've (99% sure) decided to go with building a pair of slightly modified Seas Trym speakers (the 22cm excel woofer and the 002 tweeter, crossed over at 1.6k).

Just out of curiosity, what is going to be your modification?

Scott
Old 20th January 2004, 12:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Different bracing/shape inside, with some funny corners so that the tweeter wont be equidistant from the top walls. Also, some little tiny stuff, just to match the tools that I have (different roundover radius, etc.).

Nothing exciting :0 (i'm just a beginner, this is my second pair).

Any other modification suggestions / ideas are very welcome though!

And to an earlier post, the seas Trym info is at:

http://www.seas.no/trym.htm

-dave

Hide this!Advertise here!