Need some advice in fixing a tweeter dome

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Warfedale Delta 50.2 bookshelf speakers and one of the tweeters dome is damaged. The domes material is some kind of soft plasitc, a bit like mylar but much softer.

Probably at some point the tweeters coil most have gotten very hot and deformed the suspension.

Now if you look at it from the front the top of the dome is further out then the bottom (it`s like something is pushing the coil outward from one side only) thus the coil is touching the top plate of the magnet

How can i center it?

I've seen that kind of problem , unfortunately once the plastic film of the dome softened (melted) and cooled back in a "reshaped" form or position, not much you can do about it, its material is very thin and fragile -it is a soft polyamide dome- so better try to find some similar tweeter, like the old DT19 from Vifa and replace both of them.

I've seen that kind of problem , unfortunately once the plastic film of the dome softened (melted) and cooled back in a "reshaped" form or position, not much you can do about it, its material is very thin and fragile -it is a soft polyamide dome- so better try to find some similar tweeter, like the old DT19 from Vifa and replace both of them.

Unfortunately, it`s not possible for me to replace it. Drivers like Vifa are basically exotic in my little part of the world.

What about forcing it in its original position and then gently heat it and letting it cooled down. This method works for cables, if you coil a cable and heat up the exterior insulator and let it cool down it will stay in that coild shape

Well, since you have nothing to lose - it's already not working if I understand correctly- give it a try. How, I have no idea...... Maybe you can immerse the dome part to gradually warming water an try to force the voice coil to its original position, hoping that the rest will not deform more. Hot air from a hair dryer might also work, but be very careful with that, the polyamide can melt in seconds if you exceed its temp. limit. That's all I can suggest, best luck with it....:)

Well, since you have nothing to lose - it's already not working if I understand correctly- give it a try. How, I have no idea...... Maybe you can immerse the dome part to gradually warming water an try to force the voice coil to its original position, hoping that the rest will not deform more. Hot air from a hair dryer might also work, but be very careful with that, the polyamide can melt in seconds if you exceed its temp. limit. That's all I can suggest, best luck with it....:)

Also, -if you want to do so- you can send the dome-voice coil assembly to me, I have a friend in my city who is the best speaker repair guy in Hungary, he might try to fix it for you, I've seen him doing miracles (repairing 600 ohm headphone driver elements, planar tweeters, etc.). His rates are very friendly, like 8-10 Euros for tweeter repair..... If you want to try it, send me a PM.

Also, -if you want to do so- you can send the dome-voice coil assembly to me, I have a friend in my city who is the best speaker repair guy in Hungary, he might try to fix it for you, I've seen him doing miracles (repairing 600 ohm headphone driver elements, planar tweeters, etc.). His rates are very friendly, like 8-10 Euros for tweeter repair..... If you want to try it, send me a PM.
Only now I notice your hungarian flag under your name :D I would write to you in hungarian but i`m affraid that I might violate some terms of this forum. I`m a hungarian living in Romania :)

About the tweeter... I fixed it, it`s not perfectly center but at least it doesn`t touch the magnet plate anymore... Maybe it sound a bit different but that could be just a placebo effect because of me knowing that it`s the bad tweeter. When I listen to both they sound ok

I will consider your friend when in need of speaker repair, maybe I will send it when one of my relatives living in Hungary will come to visit ;)

I am glad that you were able to fix it, I know getting those things there is not easy... I used to travel a lot to Erdély :))), I love that land, and the people living there. Your english is quite good, where did you learn it? Anyway, if I can help you in the future just ask me and I will....

greetings: András

My english is self taught :) Yeah, it can be nice here in Erdély, I`m from Nagyvárad so I live close to Ártánd border.

I`m glad to that I managed to fix it, they are good speakers for the price. I paid about 4000 forints worth. I`m not saying they are perfect. The mids are a little high as appose to the bass and high frequencies, but with a little equalization with Foobar they sound quiet good. My main problem with them is the enclosure. The walls are a little thin and the back of the cabinet is a bit resonant and that is not a good thing. But overall nice sounding speakers and good power handling also.

Edit: I also modified the crossiver a little, the tweeter has a 2nd order but the midbass had a 1st order only so I added a 6.8uF capacitor in paralel. I did this because a little high frequency got trough to the midbass, but now it sounds a little better.

Last edited:
Stiffening the cabinets is not too difficult, I've done it on dozens of them... If you remove the drivers, you can place (glue) crossbraces in the box between the side walls, and the back and front panel ( cut from hardwood broomsticks for example.....:p), this can reduce -but not completely eliminate- box resonances. Also midrange coloration, or emphasis is often caused by the standing waves inside the box "leaking" through the woofer cone, this you can reduce by filling the box with sheep's wool (not too densely).

Stiffening the cabinets is not too difficult, I've done it on dozens of them... If you remove the drivers, you can place (glue) crossbraces in the box between the side walls, and the back and front panel ( cut from hardwood broomsticks for example.....:p), this can reduce -but not completely eliminate- box resonances. Also midrange coloration, or emphasis is often caused by the standing waves inside the box "leaking" through the woofer cone, this you can reduce by filling the box with sheep's wool (not too densely).

The box is already filled to the brim with synthetic wool, I don`t know if sheeps wool is better. Unfortunately the only place I can put crossbracing between the front and the back is between the midbass and the tweeter and the placement of the tweeter is quiet high so a large portion of the back will still resonate. I`ll attach a picture of it for you to see.

I was thinking off removing the back veneer and cutting an MDF panel in the same size as the back and screwing and gluing it to the back, or just simply apply preasure until the glue sets.

Attachments

• IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 33
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.