Cheap horn bullet tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
I'm building an high efficiency two way loudspeakers system.
I have two 15" 4ohm 100db woofers and I have to buy the tweeters.
I like Fostex supertweeters, and so I'm searching something similar 4ohm and cheaper. I found the pyle PDBT35 and the Master Audio TT800 or similar can be good, but on the internet there are no frequency response diagrams. Do you know this components?
Sorry for my english!
Thank you

Simone

Joined 2008
Paid Member
?

Hi all
I'm building an high efficiency two way loudspeakers system.
I have two 15" 4ohm 100db woofers and I have to buy the tweeters.
I like Fostex supertweeters, and so I'm searching something similar 4ohm and cheaper. I found the pyle PDBT35 and the Master Audio TT800 or similar can be good, but on the internet there are no frequency response diagrams. Do you know this components?
Sorry for my english!
Thank you

Simone

Any plans for a mid range ?

Any plans for a mid range ?
Same question.

There will be a big frequency range where neither the 15"ers, nor the bullit tweeters will be able to perform well.

A dedicated midrange driver is probably going to be needed to fill that range.

For high efficiency, that mid range will need to be a big speaker, maybe 8" to 12", just to get a sensitivity and power handling to match the other drivers.

Instead of a midrange I suggest dropping the bullet tweeter in favour of a cd/horn combo.

You can then cross in the 800-1400Hz region and get a good power response.
On the right horn something like a BMS 4550 quite happily covers 800-20 000Hz and for simplicities sake it is still a 2way.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The problem with Pyle is that it's cheap. Many of their drivers are far out of spec. You never know what you will get.

I agree with the others. Matching a bullet tweeter to a 15" is going to be difficult. I've heard pro 18" drivers and dome tweeters work well together, with the right crossover, but the bullet and the 15 will be a tough match. Good luck!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are welcome. You can probably get those to work with your woofer, but I doubt it will sound great. Be sure to protect that tweeter if you play loud.

I do doubt you'll be very happy with the results, but this is DIY. Give it a try, you will learn a lot - and that's important. Then if you want to add a midrange driver later, you have a good start.

Forget about your beautifully looking FR diagram. It's not even half the truth. ;)
It doesn't even show off-axis response. With a 15" you'll need to cross between
1000 and 2000 Hz.
It's hard enough designing a two-way with a 15" and a really good mid-tweeter.
If this idea should have some chance get a horn-mounted 1.5" driver which is up
to crossing below 2K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.