Do Passive Radiators need Chamfering to sound best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No. What is teh wavelength at your tuning frequency? Of course, there is always gilding the lilly and pride of construction to be factored in...

Tuning frequency will be around 60Hz, and the size of the P.R will be maybe 5 inch or 6.5 inch. :p

The very curious thing is that even on subwoofer websites and recommendations, they do emphacize that "chamfering is essential for the subwoofer to breathe" ... which got me thinking. :deer:

The thickness of the baffle will be 4.2 cm.

I also felt that while using a 4 inch speaker(foxtex FE103E) without any chamfering, the bass felt constricted(contrary of opening). The sound in general sounds like it's not expanding.

Just sharing my observations.

I guess we'll have to try it out.

Tuning frequency will be around 60Hz, and the size of the P.R will be maybe 5 inch or 6.5 inch. :p

The very curious thing is that even on subwoofer websites and recommendations, they do emphacize that "chamfering is essential for the subwoofer to breathe" ... which got me thinking. :deer:

The thickness of the baffle will be 4.2 cm.

I also felt that while using a 4 inch speaker(foxtex FE103E) without any chamfering, the bass felt constricted(contrary of opening). The sound in general sounds like it's not expanding.

Just sharing my observations.

I guess we'll have to try it out.[/QUOTE

Given the very small size of the passive radiators that you are using it is entirely possible that they are referring to a chamfer on the inside of the cabinet so that air flow of the passive is not restricted and not on the outside of the cabinet where it would serve no purpose aside from cosmetics. Best regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.