What to do with this 2 ways empty cabinet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Default What to do with this 2 ways empty cabinet?

Hi,

I have two cabinet of Jensen model 20, a sealed two ways. Surrounds foam of the bass are dust after 30 years. I found any spare of this 8 ohms boomer nore i fpund its sensivity or spec on the net. I just know the XO is first order 4 k hz and th etweeters are working (paper of 3.5 cm diameter with the phase plug in paper).

Cabinet is -inside measurements (net volume)- : 41 cm x 26 (width) x 16 cm (depth)= 16" x 10" x 6.3"

tweeter hole is 8 cm / 3.15" diameter
boomer hole is 21cm / 8.26" diameter with the screws holes.

Do you know a freeware or a link to convert such measurements into liters for choosing drivers ?

What could be please the choice of two cheap drivers la Vifa/Peereless for the tweet and (peereless or other inexpensive choice?) for the boomer. It has to be cheap as the cabinet is not SOTA builded and I would have to buy also the passive filter (so the minimal order possible...). something less than 200 USD with filter parts, the lower possible cost.

Any idea please ?

Thanks in advance a lot for help...
Old 20th September 2014, 03:36 PM   #2
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Cabinet is -inside measurements (net volume)- : 41 cm x 26 (width) x 16 cm (depth)= 16" x 10" x 6.3"

tweeter hole is 8 cm / 3.15" diameter
boomer hole is 21cm / 8.26" diameter with the screws holes.
16 litres.

The tweeter cutout is large, so IF you replace it, it will have to be a 104mm driver:
H1212-06 27TBFC/G

The woofer hole doesn't sound right. It's the cutout size that matters, not the screw holes. Screw holes are described as a PCD diameter. Will this fit?
W 200 S - 8 Ohm

The tweeter looks like the old and famous phenolic ring tweeter. I'd keep it.

You will need to do some crossover work in all likelihood. Downloads

Here's some ideas:
8"+1" two-way DIY speakers
Attached Images
File Type: png Jensen Model 20.PNG (208.8 KB, 115 views)
Old 20th September 2014, 05:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Steve,

both for drivers ref and link.

Exactly this one ! Have you got this speaker in your collection ? Did you notice the funny front covert ? metalic, stator like with fabric glued on it

It sounds like too much expensive without active eq. I have ARta with a non calibrate ecm-8000 mic but with no arta box and no empty space but a room or a living room where I can do some measurements in the afternoon !

Could it possible with such a load ("genuily" fulled at 25% with glass fiber or roch fiber) to decide in advance for a "aproximate" cut off" with a couple of known drivers ?

The hole with the srews is 21 cm, maybe 20.8 cm (surmise acurate measurement is inchees ?!) the Inside is 18 cm diameter...

Note if i listen to it without the surround we have a BR like a Jensen load (the port is around the driver) but here it is between the driver and its cone... ouarf ouarf ! But I did'nt try !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1224.jpg (400.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1225.jpg (465.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1226.jpg (513.8 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Eldam; 20th September 2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 20th September 2014, 05:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Could it be valid to stay with the originals tweeters which are crossed with a first order at 4 Khz with a 2.7 uF cap and keep the original self on the Visaton ?

The Visaton feets, it could be screwed on the front panel and the 18 cm hole is just right !

I saw on your link that you XO at 3 k hz in the break up cone region of the W200S.... the seas has a good reputation of softness : so if used should you advise for a "bad" work a Xo at 3 k hz (like the filter you show ).

Or is it possible acording to you to have an acceptable approximation with mic measurement at home ?

Two needs :

no money spent on several filter adjustrment
it's not for me but for my brother and a third system....

Is a no-go should be a better advise than an aproximativ work for a third system with a little old Pioneer amp and a simple moded cd player for ocasional listening ?

1) no-go : just too hard for a first diy and basic knowledge
2) go with just the Visaton boomer with the original self (original xo at 4 khz)
3) go with the Visaton and also the brandnew tweeter with approximativ at home measurement hopping the simplier order possible because the cost

Last edited by Eldam; 20th September 2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 20th September 2014, 05:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your speaker is very like the old Acoustic Research AR4, which is familiar to me. I've done a lot of work and study on this precise combination of drivers. I'm sorry to say the simplistic crossovers just don't work well. I've built them, so I know.

Regular 8" paper bass tends to rolloff naturally at about 3kHz.

This is a very nice bass too:
H1471-08 CA22RNY

You will need at least a 1.5mH coil on the Visaton W200S bass unit to flatten its response because your Jensen bass was a different animal. Try the simple cap on the tweeter by all means, but for a good sound you need second order bass and third order on a cone tweeter.

This off-the-shelf crossover is near enough too if you lose the 10uF:
http://visaton.com/en/chassis_zubeho...w2_70ng_8.html

But this would be a great beginners project. Quite happy to help with precise component values if you want to go ahead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modified_MA-R300MD_HT22-8.jpg (79.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Wooden Crossover with Tagstrip.jpg (91.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by system7; 20th September 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 20th September 2014, 10:17 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

It's not that complicated to repair the bass drivers with
the many refoaming kits kits that that are available.

Your best bet IMO, if your practically minded.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 20th September 2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 21st September 2014, 12:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Streten,

i asked a little help about it wit no sucess : Jensen model 20 restoration ? i gave up the idea because the only refoam kit for that speaker I found is from USA. With custom taxes and administrative fees, it is near 100 euros... which is a no go for this modest speaker.

But as you are britanic, I assume there are a lot of refoam kit to have such answer ! So I have been loooking for today a kit with the equivalent model Steve mentioned : Acoustic Research model 4 and i find just this link : Speaker Repair Kit Foam Surrounds AR 4,6,7,8SE,16,17 incl. glue+brush | eBay

yes a best bet as it is more about souvenirs to be saved from the gardbage and a third system for rare ocasional listening ! Even if with Steve's help this speaker can surely climb in the rank of the listened speaker at my brother' s home !

thank you again Steve & Streten for coaching and helps, I believe the repair kit is nearer of the price and the initial goal wisches.

Eldam
Old 21st September 2014, 05:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve,

just for the fun and for the love of our hobby: a photograph with the fiber glass removed ! no Self !

the only passive filter part is a little MKT or MKP axial 2.7 cap... I doubt it can be electro-chemical...

Well, the Purchasing Director was a killer !

Nearly like a famous recent american 2 ways 3A something without filter... (but this last in the LP filter ; and also with a home made driver, this time in wooden carbon-fiber!). This last is a speaker to (almost) die for (I prefer the bass and mid-bass of a well designed 3 ways).... certainly the Jensen model is not... but a lot of good souvenirs... Beatles and Simon Carfunkel, also Pink Floyd when I was seven with this first speaker of my old brother... H ! la Hifi, c'est aussi a !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1228.jpg (866.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Eldam; 21st September 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 21st September 2014, 05:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I always reviving like old cabinets, because they save me boring woodwork!

The advice stands to get an affordable new 8" bass unit and fit it with a bit of filing down.

Here in the UK you can buy a cheap 20 Euro Chinese clone:
80W 8in Shielded Bass Mid Range Speaker | Maplin

Crossover can be as simple or as complicated as you like. I am one of the more experienced people to help you with a design. Jensen didn't do anything very interesting IMO. We can do better.
Old 21st September 2014, 06:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I love also UK for that... the place of the hifi "for all" and also a lot of choice like jadis with the car brands... Pfff 20 euros ! I just can't imagine trhe price paid for the workers !

oh yes I'm sure this is the Place to do better than this simple two ways.

Saw a lot of things with fellows here and some famous Net fronted diyers like Troels, Zaph, Humblehomemaid and many others.

I have as a main system with a speaker designed by Phil Jones and him staff when he was at Boston Acoustic : Lynnfirld 400L... a dramatic 85 DB 5" mid driver but a maid home mid with multi aluminium cone crossed at 125 hz to 2600 and a smart band pass bass cabinet with two 7" paper cone and double inversed speeders ! 35 hz to 30 k hz...

My first diy was with the advises here and also with the Phil Jones ones to make a passive notch as i found the tweeter too brighty (you can find a thread here I opened some times ago: tweeter and passive filter... something.

After a great improvement with this 4 khz narrow notch, I put medical coton fiber behind the aluminium dome as I checked the Ferrofluid (hard to check a FF vidcosity when uou know there are several ones...) just to try ! ! ANd it was a great improvement also !

Well, I love this place, even if my english speaking is bad ... we share the same passion !

Last edited by Eldam; 21st September 2014 at 06:19 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!