Moving Mic Measurement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you jlo! I read and downloaded your pdf. 1-2kHz region is very sensitive to small movements of speaker or microphone (reflections!)

Room measurements should never be done at only one mic location. My friends have learned to me an easy way to do multiple measurement.

We use REW in RTA mode, Forever averaging. Play pink noise or pulsating pink noise with one or more speakers at the time, start RTA recording and move the mic slowly, 3-dimensionally around your head at your "sweet spot". The radius of movement should be 0.5m (2 feet). Continue recording for say 15 seconds. Then after stopping you can toggle for varius smoothing to see how the response looks.

The measurement reflects true room power response and audible spectral balance well. For learning measure several different speakers and compare measurements to your audition (how you hear them to sound).

Attachments

• rotating mic rta.jpg
    rotating mic rta.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 2,094
  • ainogneob v74 l r spl rta-vert.jpg
    ainogneob v74 l r spl rta-vert.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 2,095
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Juhazi - in ARTA using periodic pink noise, the measurement could be set to do 175 or even 200 averages. 60 secs is about 175, which should give good resolution down low.
I won't be able to test this until Tuesday, but will do so then and report my results.

Yes by definition, but pink will measure flat! ½ or 1/3 oct smoothing is best. If L and R are playing simultaneously, highest treble will descend a little because of interferences.

Here's 1ch, non-smoothed sweep vs. pink from listening sofa's back rest (non-moving mic). Pink noise (black curve) has noticeably more descending curve. White noise behaves like the sweep.

sweepvspink_zps2053f44d.png

Last edited:
Strange! Here are my fresh measeurements - pink noise gives similar response to sine sweep! REW v5.1 beta22, digital out to ObjectiveDAC, measured with calibrated UMIK-1.

I wonder what is causing this difference to Legis' measurements?

Edit -I found it! Legis didn't have RTA mode set at RTA properties in REW

Attachments

• ainogneob l spl vs rta pink.png
    ainogneob l spl vs rta pink.png
    72 KB · Views: 1,857
  • ainogneob l spl vs rta white.png
    ainogneob l spl vs rta white.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 514
  • rta mode set rew.jpg
    rta mode set rew.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
Juhazi, try "Spectrum" view instead of 1/48oct RTA. I Just noticed this, but I don't know why they have such a difference?? Very strange, maybe a bug? Also the level in spectrum view drops drastically. I wondered why I had to play so loud...

Last edited:
When REW is in spectrum mode, it is measuring energy in linearly equal width frequency bins (~ 5Hz for 8192 samples @ 44.1 kS/s). So energy from 40 Hz to 45 Hz is summed and displayed on the same scale as energy from 12460 Hz to 12465 Hz and pink noise shows up with a -6 dB/octave slope and white noise is flat.

With 1/XX octave RTA, logarithmically equal frequency bins are used, so energy from 40 Hz to 80 Hz is summed and compared to energy from 4000 Hz to 8000 Hz, for example. Pink noise is flat, and white noise has a rising slope of 6 dB/octave.

Marc

Last edited:
With 1/XX octave RTA, logarithmically equal frequency bins are used, so energy from 40 Hz to 80 Hz is summed and compared to energy from 4000 Hz to 8000 Hz, for example. Pink noise is flat, and white noise has a rising slope of 6 dB/octave.
I'm doing an FFT of the whole measurement recording and then a 1/f compensation in the plot (-3dB/oct) so that pink looks flat.

and pink noise shows up with a -6 dB/octave slope and white noise is flat.
Marc

I'm doing an FFT of the whole measurement recording and then a 1/f compensation in the plot (-3dB/oct) so that pink looks flat.

Sorry. I was too quick to answer. I was thinking it was 1/f on amplitude, but it is 1/f in power, hence -3dB/octave, and equal energy in each octave.

Marc

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow, this is definitely not working for me in ARTA. :xeye:
With a stationary mic I get the same results in ARTA and HOLM. Can move the mic position 10cm laterally and there is very little change. (1/6th octave).

But with the moving mic there is a giant roll-off above 300Hz. The response slopes diagonally down hitting -30dB at 20KHz. No way it sounds right if that is EQ'd to flat.
Doesn't seem to matter how far or in what pattern the mic moves, the roll-off is the same. Bass changes very little.

Maybe it has to do with the periodic pink noise in ARTA? Gotta keep testing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.