Moving Mic Measurement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks. I do think it's the periodic noise. Will have to try the 2 channel measurement in ARTA.
However, I did manage to get some very good measurements this morning using other software. White noise was used, but it could have been pink or brown.

The measurements were very repeatable, even tho the mic movements were somewhat random thru a space of about 1 square meter at the listening chair. This did lead to a rather different room EQ - simpler than previously used. The moving mic measurement did show a broad midrange dip that was audible before, but hard to measure.

The technique seems quick and very consistent. At first listen an EQ done on the moving average sounds more natural and well balanced than previous attempts at EQ. Well worth the effort.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, surprising! The inconsistency of my mic movements worried me at first, until it became obvious that they weren't affecting the average. Sure makes that measurements faster and easier. :up:

I used a 30 sec average. Longer didn't seem to help any. Didn't try shorter.

I have been using this method for several years. I also was attracted by the speed, repeatability and ease of this method. I get the same response as averaging many different sweeps around the same listening window. It is also repeatable within about ±1 dB 20-20k Hz without regard to the initial placement of the mic. I'm using REW 1/48 octave mode and "forever" averaging. I typically end up with 160-260 averages depending on how fast I move the mic (moderately slow to moderate fast). The response is no different within this range.

The resulting HF (800-20k Hz) listening position response is very similar to a gated HF response at a closer mic position given an adjustment for falloff due to mic distance. My bass range (20-180Hz) is also similar to an individual sweep as the vertical window I use is small (~ 36"W x 18"H) relative to the wavelength so there is not much difference due to mic location anyway.

The largest difference for me is in the mid freq range, maybe from 180-800Hz, where the normal variability of a single measurements with slightly different mic positions is greatly reduced. It avoids running and average multiple sweeps at different mic positions.

I have had good success setting EQ to my favored house curve. I just adjusted my house curve to compliment my favored collection of program material. Other program material would necessitate a different curve however. There is no consistency in source programming. :mad:

My question/concern is related to what is being measured. An average over an area around the listening position using RTA methods would maybe an EQ to the power response? I read that power response is not a good way to EQ!

Is this effectively an EQ to the power response?

Okay, I get that.

It seems to work well in my case. I see a reasonable correlation to sweeping the MF+HF at closer mic distance using the appropriate window, so I guess that, at least in my case, this method is just a good. It's nice also because one measurement works for EQ of the whole frequency range. We just have to be ready to adjust the slope of the house curve to fit the situation and our preference.

I do have 2 or 3 peaks/dips in the mid freqs that are room related. They do not show up at the closer mic distance. For that reason I normally only sparingly address them.

Just a point of clarification. The paper states "Schroeder*4 and Geddes*5 have calculated with different methods". To my knowledge our methods are identical. At least that was what I intended - unless I made a mistake!
Unless I misunderstood, in your (recommended) book on page 186, you said "an identical result was shown by Schroeder using an entirely different technique than that used here".
Maybe the methods are identical and both based on Green's function of parallelepidic rooms, but the calculation techniques are different, or did I miss something ?

It is effectively a "Localized Sound Power".
It is... but the measurement result looks generally closer to "first reflection curve" than to "power response" as per the Toole-Olive team terminology.

We just have to be ready to adjust the slope of the house curve to fit the situation and our preference.
I did an online calculator that generally gives a fair basis to each one's target curve.
Why not give it a try : http://www.ohl.to/calculators/targetcurve.php

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting calculator. Why can't I enter real values? It only allows a limited few values in the cells.

Not that it matters much. I use a fairly typical drop of 1dB/octave with a hinge point at 800Hz. I've tried other hinge points, but nothing as low as 200Hz

Unless I misunderstood, in your (recommended) book on page 186, you said "an identical result was shown by Schroeder using an entirely different technique than that used here".
Maybe the methods are identical and both based on Green's function of parallelepidic rooms, but the calculation techniques are different, or did I miss something ?

My bad. Misread your write up. Yes you were right, the techniques were different. Schroeder used a purely statistical argument to derive the stats and I just simulated a room response and then did the stats on that. I had forgotten that - like everything else these days. What I was trying to say is that what we derived were identical. Schroeder did not have a computer when he did his foundational paper so all he could do was a purely statistical approach. His 50's paper still sits in my mind as one of the most fundamental papers in room acoustics. When I first read it, it was only available in German. I later got the AES to publish this paper in English - done by Prof. Schroeder's own hand. My translation was not bad, but he was a master writer as was everything that he did. This AES paper is must reading IMO.

I use a fairly typical drop of 1dB/octave with a hinge point at 800Hz. I've tried other hinge points, but nothing as low as 200Hz
When we are confident about a measuring method, the target response is the main remaining point.
We know that the trend is :
- a downward slope between 0.5 and 1dB/oct at mid frequencies
- a more pronounced slope at highest frequencies to account for air HF attenuation
- a low frequency curve more or less similar to the spectral enveloppe of the natural response of the room.
But this may be another (important) topic.

This paper was targeted only on large rooms, but measurements show its validity also for our small listening rooms, above certain frequencies.

I am pretty sure that Schroeder would have known that his results were not specific to any particular room size. This is clearly indicated by his development of the transition frequency that we now call the "Schroeder" frequency.

Interesting technique. My only question is why are you using pink or white noise to measure in room? (unless you listen to a lot of pink noise for fun...) I have only ever used pink/white noise to set XO and levels near-field in quasi-anechoic. For in-room integration noise does not work because it is not music and music does not stick around long enough to excite most of the problems that might be seen using Noise.

I am puzzled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.