How to kill audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the kind of thing that is killing audio.

They raised 743% of their goal on what is certainly totally bogus claims. Just read it and see if any of this "sound quality" is possible from such a box.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-core-wireless-speaker-system

The people who contributed to this will be very disappointed and will not invest in another speaker product as long as they live.

I cannot believe that people would fall for this.

Any lawyers out there? I smell "class action suit"!

Well, if people think Beats by "Dr. Dre" is good, no reason they won't go for this as well. The former rapper collected a cool billion from Apple, probably more than the entire profit of Bose over the history of the company.

Marketing. Look how successful Nike is selling sneakers made in the poorest third-world countries for serious money in first-world countries. I remember this example because Nike used to be a small company next door to Tektronix when I joined in 1979; they had about 200 employees in Beaverton, and Tek had 22,000. Now it's reversed; Tek is down to a few thousand, and Nike has ten times as many. Marketing.

They raised 743% of their goal on what is certainly totally bogus claims. Just read it and see if any of this "sound quality" is possible from such a box.

The people who contributed to this will be very disappointed and will not invest in another speaker product as long as they live.

I bought my first single at seven, my first vinyl album at 13, and I saved up money from my paper route to buy my first CD player at 14. In 2014 dollars, that CD player would cost close to $1000.

So this isn't chump change; my CD player in 1985 cost the equivalent of what a beat up used car cost.

My wife's kids are 13 and 11. Here's something very important that I've noticed:

They have virtually no interest in music, and little interest in movies.

I think the reason for this is simple; it's free and it's ubiquitous.

IMHO, the future of music and movies belongs to whoever can turn the ACT of experiencing music into something novel. For instance, I've been going to raves since the early 90s, and year after year they just get bigger, and more elaborate, and crazier.

Basically music used to be an intimate experience, it was something that you did in your car or your living room. In the post-internet era, music and movies is about the experience, music and movies are something that you do with other people. Nobody under the age of 30 is terribly interested in buying music, or even HAVING music.

On a side note, this is also why music and movies are so homegenized. They have to be big loud and interchangeable, because nobody listens to a song or watches a movie enough to watch the subtlety unfold. In 1985 it wasn't unheard of for me to listen to an album a hundred times; in 2014 I basically buy tickets to concerts, and then I download the music *after* the fact. The concert is the goal, not the music.

It looks like a cross between a soundbar and boombox and seems to be priced accordingly. Many people are quite happy with soundbars and boomboxes. I fail to see any difference between the nonsense spouted by these people and the nonsense spouted by the mainstream home audio industry about cables, DACs, amplifiers, record players, etc... Good luck to them.

I don't see what the problem is with the device itself.
It represents a couple of trends. First, nobody buys or even WANTS music. They just want something to plug their phone into.

I consider myself an audiophile, but even I find the convenience of Pandora and Netflix irresistible.

So that's the first trend - nobody wants a loudspeaker that you plug a DVD player into, or a CD player (do they even make those any more?)

The other trend is that people will totally pay for something unique. Even if this box is identical to a Sonos box, there are people who will pay extra to have something that their friends don't.

Obviously, the "stereo from a single speaker" thing is nonsensical. I've screwed around a lot with ambio, and even when it's perfect you need to sit with your head in a vise in front of the speaker. The thing is, 90% of the content out there is practically mono. So even if it *could* create stereo from a single box, nobody would know it.

I doubt it.
hehe, this makes me laugh.
What are you on about? Those who understand, understand. Those who don't are free to do as they wish with their money. The claims made are subjective, no law against that Earl.

Obviously, the "stereo from a single speaker" thing is nonsensical.

I don't doubt that there is some value in all the electronic connectivity stuff (although I doubt the it is worth the outrageous price), it's the fact that they can make any "sound quality" claims that they want without even a shred of support.

It's just like around here I guess. ;)

Makes me sad that this is what I did for a living and it's come to this. :eek:

Obviously, the "stereo from a single speaker" thing is nonsensical. I've screwed around a lot with ambio, and even when it's perfect you need to sit with your head in a vise in front of the speaker. The thing is, 90% of the content out there is practically mono. So even if it *could* create stereo from a single box, nobody would know it.
Calling it "stereo" would imply that it reproduces the original sound field as mixed, which it can not.

"To achieve its amazing sonic feats, the Core uses an Acoustic Holography technology to produce a stereo sound field that is astonishing in size and sound quality."

Through the last many decades there have been a number of different ways to make a huge sound field from closely spaced speakers. Back in the 1980s I had a boom box with an "ambience" setting that was "astonishing" in that crappy sound seemed to be coming from everywhere other than the two speakers which were located about 10 inches apart. It would not matter if the mix was originally stereo, mono or the classic "mono reprocessed for stereo", it all just floated around. After a few minutes of "astonishment", I'd turn off the ambient switch, and the box sounded pretty good for it's size.

With "The Core" using four speakers (and a "sub") there is the potential for even more weirdness than with two :djinn:.

Last edited:
But given its size all those speakers have to be very small. At least the older boom boxes used some drivers with some area. They are probably using laptop speakers. Well worth the $900 or so.

Hey, I know, lets all start a company on Indigogo!! We are all experts at the verbiage of "sound quality" claims and we know how to do that without any reference to reality. That sounds like all we should need. We just get a 3D simulated drawing, then when we get the money we take it to China and have them make something for $1.98 and send it out. Sounds like a couple million market cap at least!

Last edited:
But given its size all those speakers have to be very small. At least the older boom boxes used some drivers with some area. They are probably using laptop speakers. Well worth the $900 or so.
Boom boxes are too big..

You missed on the price though, you can get the Core for only $389, maybe by Christmas...

Attachments

• $389.png
    $389.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 396
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.