What's the average directivity range of a typical 6" cone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2014, 07:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What's the average directivity range of a typical 6" cone?

Average baffle width flush mounted and not OB or dipole. At what point decreasing in frequency does it become Omni? Besides cardoid or dipole cancellations, what else can be done to control directivity lower in frequency? Vertically an array can help but what about horizontally?
Old 16th September 2014, 08:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Think of three ranges. At highest frequencies the cone beams and will narrow down to less than 90 degrees, then less than 45, etc. For a 6" this may start around 4kHz, off the top of my head.

From this frequency down to a few hundred then the baffle is sufficiently large to constrain the directivity to hemispherical. i.e., 180 degrees. This is determined by the baffle size and nothing else.

Below that frequency the baffle is no longer big enough and the dispersion spreads towards Omni.

So to answer your question, the frequency is totally related to baffle size. If you use a program for determining "baffle step function" (cabinet diffraction response) such as Tolvin, "the edge", then where the response starts to shelve down is also where the polar pattern starts to spread from 180 to, ultimately, 360.

David
Old 16th September 2014, 08:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
Average baffle width flush mounted and not OB or dipole. At what point decreasing in frequency does it become Omni?
Take a look at the polar of this driver, it might give you a hint ( it begins to be directive as it approaches 1kHz, albeit only slightly, and reaches -5dB past 2kHz)

AL 170 - 8 Ohm

Quote:
Besides cardoid or dipole cancellations, what else can be done to control directivity lower in frequency? Vertically an array can help but what about horizontally?
Huge horn or - to a certain extent as should obvious from the example above - large radiating area, either large Drivers (non-CD) or 2D Array. No free luch tho. Below 500 Hz Dipole might be the best bet.
Old 16th September 2014, 09:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

My area of comparison is a 6" midwoofer as compared to say the common 12-15" woofers often associated with waveguide two ways. I'm trying to find the advantage of the large diameter drivers over the smaller. If we assume the same wide baffle needed to accommodate the woofer in a three way, the small 6" midwoofer should remain near constantly directive lower in frequency as the larger diameter drivers?
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your question was at what frequency the speaker goes omni. The answer is that it goes omni when the baffle is no longer large enough to support hemispherical radiation. It is down to baffle dimensions, nothing else.

Now if the question is at what frequency, going up, the driver starts to beam and narrow to less than hemispherical, then that is directly tied to driver diameter.

David
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So infinite baffle drivers can maintain directivity below 100hz?
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM   #7
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So infinite baffle drivers can maintain directivity below 100hz?
Almost, hemispherical then (180¤) It is questionable if that should be called directivity.

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/demos/baffledpiston/baffledpiston.html

Click the image to open in full size.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Could you all help me understand the baffle step? Is it correct that it lowers on-axis LF frequency response, or is it only the problem with power response? I am not exactly sure what exactly it does.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #9
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenderes View Post
Could you all help me understand the baffle step? Is it correct that it lowers on-axis LF frequency response, or is it only the problem with power response? I am not exactly sure what exactly it does.
This is a good one
Baffle Diffraction Step
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenderes View Post
Baffle step is actually the combination of 2 factors. At low frequencies frontal energy is allowed to bend around the cabinet edges into the back hemisphere. This is a loss in axial pressure as power escapes to the back side.

At the same time the low frequency loading is reduced and the actual system efficiency is less below baffle step than above.

Both factors contribute about 3 dB of step for a difference approaching 6dB.

David

Hide this!Advertise here!