Obstruction in front of driver vs frequency, how big to become a problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The question is: if I have a round or square obstruction in front of a driver, how do I calculate if it will impact the response? It obviously has something to do with wavelength so my question is if how small must it be in relation to wavelength to be negligable.

I'm tossing some ideas in my head and one of the options would require a ~ 2-3 cm cylinder bar in front of my 100 - 1600 hz midwoofer and of course I wonder if this would impact the sound in a significant way or if the frequency is so low it won't matter.

Attachments

• DSC_0304.jpg
    DSC_0304.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 82
This waveguide in front of a driver had almost no effect below 3kHz. Big improvement in the post mounted tweeter response, too.

Nice!

I'm considering somewhat of an odd arrangement: A MTM dipole with two 6.5" midwoofers and two back to back waveguided tweeters in the middle, but large ones ( Monacor DT-300 + WG-300 ). So basically I'm trying to approximate a coaxial with a waveguide in the middle but trade some of the coherence for front rear symmetry.

The question was becuase I'm considering adding bracing in front of the drivers if needed, but as I would cross at 1600-2000 hz tops then if reasonable sized bracing won't impact response it would be nice =)

I might get away with no bracing though if I accept that the waveguides will sit ~ 2 cm further apart to a total of ~ 16 cm. I guess in the end the waveguide will be the elephant in the room to so maybe some extra bracing around it will just be minor.

Attachments

• DSC_0307.jpg
    DSC_0307.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.