Has anyone build Troels' new 3 Way stepped baffle designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, has anyone build Troels Gravesen new 3 Way designs with stepped baffle?

I'm interested in building one of the versions but upon looking at the driver placement, it seems that the tweeter/midrange c-t-c spacing exceeded one wavelength at their xo point. Not that I'm doubting Troels talent but seems like many people suggest that driver spacing shld be at least within one wavelength & less. Any comments?

The speakers look awesome I must say!

Here's the Seas version mkII: SEAS-3-Way-Classic-mkII

3WCmkII-2-large.jpg

Here's the Scanspeak version: ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery

ss-3w-intro-1-large.jpg

Dunno try it and see?
I've tried one of Troels' "improvement" crossovers and absolutely could not tell ANY (friends as well.. A/B 'ing betwixt original and improved ) differences.
Despite convincing Web site presentation and documentation.
Clearly someone's Hobby is running a website.
Emporer's clothes perhaps?

Any comments?

To take advantage of Troel Gravesen's skillful engineering you will need to produce an exact physical copy of the design. Troel convineced himself that time alignment from a stepped baffle is superior to a slanted baffle.

Some designers favor minimum C-to-C and will trim the driver frames. I favor this. Some of these designers will still mount the M+T on a flat baffle and the use quasi-optimal crossovers that shift phase to mimic the time delay. e.g.. Deep_M, plus shallow_T drivers at a Xover frequency that creates a 90 degree phase difference can be compensated by flipping +/- tweeter terminals of LR4_T Xover.

Some designers will use a shallow waveguide that provides the exact depth for correct time alignment, and use the wavegide to lower the crossover frequency for greater C-to-C lobing reduction. Very popular in modern monitors where controlled directivity is required for close listening.

Attachments

• extrema.jpg
    extrema.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 415
  • Vivid_PS.jpg
    Vivid_PS.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 413
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.