• LXminis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mini OB desktop speaker (e.g. S11)

• Other (describe in reply please)

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've done lots of research and would like to pursue an interesting low-moderate 'ish budget DIY speaker build. The constraints are that I plan on tinkering and believe that I'd like to buy the electronics to be as flexible as possible for any future plans. I really like the 4 way dipole concepts like the nao and lx521, but before I dump a huge amount of money into something that I've never heard, I'd like to learn, tinker, and figure out some preferences. At some point I might even pursue designing my own, but to start I'd like to build a speaker exactly to the plans. At worst, this gives me a reference baseline to compare to.

Some other constraints: the space is non ideal (aren't all of them..) and on the small ish side. Keeping the speakers off the front wall will be difficult.
I will end up using these for everything (Music, movies, games etc)

In the spirit of flexibility, my current plan is to purchase the 4x10HD Minidsp for 500$. While this is a significant jump in price over the other minidsp options, I think it provides an ultimately flexible solution, and if I end up needing it for another project, I could pick up the 2x4s later.

For amplification, the Dayton MA1260 for$600 here It's 12x60 class D amp. I'm not totally sold on this, but it offers some unique benefits for the 4 way actives if I go that route. I've also considered other 12 and 16 channel "full home amplifier" options but I'd appreciate comments on this because I feel like amp prices are pretty insane.

A) Jump into a 4 way dipole with the NaO note II rs. This seems to be a reasonable build, not too complicated, not too much to screw up, and from what I understand, the final product is pretty impressive. Total additional cost over the amp/dsp = ~1000$
B) Start with the LXmini as a starter project. I could always relegate them to be computer speakers or use them somewhere else. The lack of bass is concerning, but the ease of building seems like a plus. Total additional cost over the amp/dsp = ~500$
C) Start with a classic box speaker, like the "statements" for ~850$. This is a lot more woodwork that the other options, and significantly larger. They're probably less effected by placement than the others though.
D) Start super small and build a OB desktop like gainphiles S11s or Melo Theories desktop dipoles link Use this to tinker, and end up with a bookshelf I can use in the bedroom or as a computer speaker. Cost is probably ~250 depending on the drivers I select
E) Other suggested option

E)http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_Mezzo Galactica_copy.pdf

I get this all the time and here it is for you:
I'm having problems following your thoughts.
Cheap large 3-way speaker:
Seas tweeter or Vifa XT25 or whatever
Mid: almost anything with strong magnet, any pro driver
Woofer: JBL 2226H/J, pretty cheap and easy to get 2nd hand and still new

If you can use a computer as a cross-over, in your setup use kx drivers and then you have a crap ton of flexibility in your design, i.e. you can put the bass woofer in a small box. There's other software and more expensive cards than kx uses out there also. I've used kx drivers for years now.

The 2.5-way ZRT that the almighty Zaph made, makes good use of cabinet volume and will have good bass and mids do to the expensive woofers (and tweeter to a lesser extent). Also would be much better with kx drivers flexibility, especially if you're sitting close.

E)http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_Mezzo Galactica_copy.pdf

I get this all the time and here it is for you:
I'm having problems following your thoughts.
Cheap large 3-way speaker:
Seas tweeter or Vifa XT25 or whatever
Mid: almost anything with strong magnet, any pro driver
Woofer: JBL 2226H/J, pretty cheap and easy to get 2nd hand and still new

If you can use a computer as a cross-over, in your setup use kx drivers and then you have a crap ton of flexibility in your design, i.e. you can put the bass woofer in a small box. There's other software and more expensive cards than kx uses out there also. I've used kx drivers for years now.

The 2.5-way ZRT that the almighty Zaph made, makes good use of cabinet volume and will have good bass and mids do to the expensive woofers (and tweeter to a lesser extent). Also would be much better with kx drivers flexibility, especially if you're sitting close.

I made the 2.5 ZRT (with 65L cabinet) and it is definitely not a small room speaker. I can't speak of the version in the toy Madisound cabinet but mine are almost 4' off the wall in a contemporary living room with 16' ceiling (by a 12 pitch roof) and a second floor stairwell behind the listening position. NOBODY believes I don't have subs hidden somewhere.

This is with an Adcom pre and Adcom GFA-545 (100wpc)

Great drivers and the back of the tweeter is a work of art. (Scanspeak all)

P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.