3 Way setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gday all got some 2 way speakers already that a mate built for me, and now i have been bitten by the bug after modding some cheaper speakers.
Looking to build some speakers to match my existing 2 ways But looking to make them 3 ways and needing some help.
Existing 2 ways
2way.png
[/URL][/IMG]
The drivers I'm looking at are Dayton DC28F tweeter, Tang Band W5704D woofer, to match the 2 ways but add the Tang Band W51138SMF for the sub.
Also I used the information from the "Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement" but having trouble to make that work for a 3 way setup
Any help would be great, thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ok so i think i might have made some ground on the crossover design but would be keen to get a second opinion. The drivers are as follows

Dayton DC28F8 8ohm 89dB Re:5.5ohm Fs:637.2Hz Range:1300-20000
Tang Band W5-704D 8ohm 88dB Re:6ohm Fs:55Hz Range:45-1500Hz Le:0.06mH
Tang Band W5-1138SMF 4ohm 82dB Re:3.4ohm Fs:45Hz Range:45-1500Hz Le:0.34mH

and here's a rough drawing of the plan for the crossover

WP_20140904_004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any help would be great

Tracti,

you would make easier on yourself if you used a simulation program
like these:

Jeff Bagby's Software Page
http://libinst.com/Xsim/XSimSetup.exe
Downloads

You would need frd and zma files which are txt files of measured
FR and Impedance, either on an "infinite" baffle as manufacturers
usually do or maybe in some kind of box. You would be better off
making your own measurements and using these for simulating.

Some parts values on your schematic make sense and others not much.
You do know that you should pad midrange and tweeter considerably
down to meet the small sub. Doing by the "Introduction ..." guide is
fine for getting a feeling what's going on but would not suffice for
making it final.

I agree with Lojzek that you really should simulate the component values and not try to calculate them on paper. Otherwise you'll probably just waste your money as textbook crossovers almost never work.

An easier option is to buy a cheap measurement microphone ( which is nice to have for verification of the design ) and then go the active DSP route instead. DSP is cheap nowadays and there are lots of cheap multichannel amps out there.

The plan was to make something that looked similar to what i already have using similar components. They are set up now with some subs that run off a plate amp. So it may be better to just start from scratch for my first 3 way setup. Thanks for the replies

If you really want a 3-way setup then I'd recommend you first research, a lot before making plans. A faster option is to build from pre-designed speaker on the web.

This for example that uses Dayton drivers.

Troels has a lot of designs too.

Another good speaker is the Linkwitz LXMini which is a different kind of speaker. There is of course the Nao Note 2 RS and the Linkwitz LX521 but those are more expensive builds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.