Good sounding tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I want to make monitors with my own crossover design and measurements, but the worst problem is to find really clear and good sounding tweeters, most cheap or old tweeters sounds harsh and it annoys me during long listening.

I'm thinking about Audax TW025A0, because isn't so expensive and has encouraging parameters, another is Tang Band 28-847SD, but both of this speakers don't have too much reviews...

If anybody heard any of them, or has a better proposal at similar price, I will be grateful for opinion.

What is the application? A 2-way? A 3-way? 4-way? What frequency range do you want it to cover and what is your goal SPL?

It is impossible to recommend anything without knowing more. Where you live ( Europe / US / Somewhere else ) should also be taken into account.

Alright.

As it is a 2-way you pretty much have to use a waveguide on the tweeter to get a good result. Without a waveguide you won't be able to merge the falling off axis response of the midwoofer with the tweeter in the crossover region and the transition will be choppy.

So either you buy say the Monacor WG-300 (or similar) from another shop and then modify to fit the tweeter of your choice, or you can buy a tweeter with pre-mounted waveguide.

The only one they sell that I found on that site that has a waveguide is the SEAS 27TBCD/GB-DXT which is a very very good tweeter so if I were you I would probably pick that one. It's a bargain too which is always nice =)

ADDITION: Since you want to build a 2-way and cross passively you will be pushing the drivers to cover a wide frequency range so make sure your midwoofer has a phase plug, without it the high frequency off axis response won't be as nice and the transition to the tweeter won't be as good as it could be.

Last edited:
Here's gated frequency response of woofer, crossover frequency will be about 3kHz I think that waveguide wont be necessary.

With current tweeter (old 39mm AlNiCo Seas) it sounds as well, but I wan't really clear sound at the highest frequencies, mids are ok.

Attachments

• woofer.png
    woofer.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 382
  • all.png
    all.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 373
I recommend this one:

The Madisound Speaker Store

Also, I'd suggest being open to lower, maybe even steeper crossovers. Better power response, and more importantly better attenuation of driver issues. Most 5" drivers are breaking up around 6khz (and indeed: yours seems to have issues around 5.8khz) and it's possible you're going to hear that as the same harshness you're attributing to the tweeter. That includes well-damped drivers. Ideally you want that junk -40db in level.

Last edited:
Here's gated frequency response of woofer, crossover frequency will be about 3kHz I think that waveguide wont be necessary.

With current tweeter (old 39mm AlNiCo Seas) it sounds as well, but I wan't really clear sound at the highest frequencies, mids are ok.

You might be right, but the only way to be sure is to look at the off axis response =)

If it already is a smooth transition on axis and off axis then yeah, you probably don't need one but considering the low frequency response of domes I'd find that unlikely.

I've always thought that ribbon tweeters have the best sound for the highest frequencies (cymbals and such). Fountek makes very good ones at reasonable prices. Their 1.5 inch has decent off axis response and efficiency, but ribbons and most other tweeters should only be used down to 3-5kHZ, and your 5 inch driver with its breakup peak at 6kHZ is a problem. Probably the reason for the harshness.

In a two way system I recommend polypropylene cone woofers that have the smooth rolloff at the high end, so you can cross them over at 3-5kHZ. Hard cone drivers are really only good for 3 way and/or actively crossed over systems, so the breakup resonant peak can be attenuated way down. That's in the frequency range where the ear is most sensitive.

The Audax tweeter the OP is looking at is the recommended replacement tweeter for the much loved Spica TC-50 and 50i speaker tweeters that were/are prone to burn out. Those speaks are famous for thier imaging and music lovers rave about them. The key here is music lovers - those who listen to long hours without the fatigue the OP doesn't want.

Do you mean that this would by good tweeter for this purpose?

In a two way system I recommend polypropylene cone woofers that have the smooth rolloff at the high end, so you can cross them over at 3-5kHZ. Hard cone drivers are really only good for 3 way and/or actively crossed over systems, so the breakup resonant peak can be attenuated way down. That's in the frequency range where the ear is most sensitive.

Hmm, I'll try to listen to the tweeters with disconnected woofers and maybe I'll know what's the problem.

Last edited:
Do you mean that this would by good tweeter for this purpose?

I can't say for sure about your specific project. I just wanted to share what I know about them. I've personally done a number of those Spica tweeter replacements. No customers have complained. The TC-50 is a unique design but a 2-way never-the-less.
It's not the world's best tweeter, but it price performance history makes it a very good value worth a try.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.