Good sounding tweeters. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2014, 06:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Good sounding tweeters.

Hi.

I want to make monitors with my own crossover design and measurements, but the worst problem is to find really clear and good sounding tweeters, most cheap or old tweeters sounds harsh and it annoys me during long listening.

I'm thinking about Audax TW025A0, because isn't so expensive and has encouraging parameters, another is Tang Band 28-847SD, but both of this speakers don't have too much reviews...

If anybody heard any of them, or has a better proposal at similar price, I will be grateful for opinion.
Old 1st September 2014, 07:29 PM   #2
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What is the application? A 2-way? A 3-way? 4-way? What frequency range do you want it to cover and what is your goal SPL?

It is impossible to recommend anything without knowing more. Where you live ( Europe / US / Somewhere else ) should also be taken into account.
Old 1st September 2014, 07:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Typical 2way with 5" midwoofer, I want to do shopping here http://audiotransducers.com/ (Europe).
Old 1st September 2014, 07:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Alright.

As it is a 2-way you pretty much have to use a waveguide on the tweeter to get a good result. Without a waveguide you won't be able to merge the falling off axis response of the midwoofer with the tweeter in the crossover region and the transition will be choppy.

So either you buy say the Monacor WG-300 (or similar) from another shop and then modify to fit the tweeter of your choice, or you can buy a tweeter with pre-mounted waveguide.

The only one they sell that I found on that site that has a waveguide is the SEAS 27TBCD/GB-DXT which is a very very good tweeter so if I were you I would probably pick that one. It's a bargain too which is always nice =)

ADDITION: Since you want to build a 2-way and cross passively you will be pushing the drivers to cover a wide frequency range so make sure your midwoofer has a phase plug, without it the high frequency off axis response won't be as nice and the transition to the tweeter won't be as good as it could be.

Last edited by OllBoll; 1st September 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 1st September 2014, 08:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here's gated frequency response of woofer, crossover frequency will be about 3kHz I think that waveguide wont be necessary.

With current tweeter (old 39mm AlNiCo Seas) it sounds as well, but I wan't really clear sound at the highest frequencies, mids are ok.
Attached Images
File Type: png woofer.png (18.4 KB, 274 views)
File Type: png all.png (14.8 KB, 273 views)
Old 1st September 2014, 09:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I recommend this one:

The Madisound Speaker Store

Also, I'd suggest being open to lower, maybe even steeper crossovers. Better power response, and more importantly better attenuation of driver issues. Most 5" drivers are breaking up around 6khz (and indeed: yours seems to have issues around 5.8khz) and it's possible you're going to hear that as the same harshness you're attributing to the tweeter. That includes well-damped drivers. Ideally you want that junk -40db in level.

Last edited by RockLeeEV; 1st September 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 1st September 2014, 09:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektryk View Post
Here's gated frequency response of woofer, crossover frequency will be about 3kHz I think that waveguide wont be necessary.

With current tweeter (old 39mm AlNiCo Seas) it sounds as well, but I wan't really clear sound at the highest frequencies, mids are ok.
You might be right, but the only way to be sure is to look at the off axis response =)

If it already is a smooth transition on axis and off axis then yeah, you probably don't need one but considering the low frequency response of domes I'd find that unlikely.
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:30 AM   #8
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Its garbage you need a wave guide with a 5" woofer,
but that doesn't mean the Seas DXT won't work.

http://audiotransducers.com/en/104mm...25tg09-04.html

Is good, and cheap, if you know how to use it well.
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/amiga

rgds, sreten.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

This is an excellent tweet, crossed above 2.5khz http://audiotransducers.com/en/90-10...-h1283-06.html

Last edited by Bill poster; 2nd September 2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:39 AM   #10
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Another nice dome tweeter: Seas 27TBFC/G (alu dome), low Fs and performs nicely. FWIW, I believe Zaph, Tony Gee and Troels have tested this tweeter favorably.

Last edited by AKN; 2nd September 2014 at 08:42 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!