Pyramid Blaster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
klf-food-pyramid.jpg

In this thread I'm going to take another stab at making some Synergy Horns for my home.

I've started some other projects in the past*, and I hope this one expands upon what worked in those projects, while fixing what didn't.

Here's some goals for this project:

1) My favorite thing about my Synergy Horn projects is ARTICULATION. My Gedlee Summas do dynamics and imaging like no other, but Synergy Horns get articulation right better than anything else. Basically that ability to listen to an album of music and all the words are intelligible and clear. Also very nice for movies with a lot of dialog and podcasts.

2) My Ambio projects, like this one*, have pinpoint imaging. Possibly the best imaging I've ever heard. Ambio delivers soundstage definition like no other. But I've found that it comes at a price; the soundstage is often quite small. This project will address that. (And note this isn't a failing of ambio, stay tuned for why...)

3) I generally use prosound drivers and horns, so dynamics and output are always a feature in my speakers

* http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/244508-monster-massive.html, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/257787-soundbar-bateman-style.html

I always like to use strange names for my loudspeaker threads, so here's the origins of this one:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1) Tom Danley's pyramid research, as featured in a couple of 1990s TV specials and "Coast to Coast AM" with Art Bell (Great Pyramid - Secret Tunnels of Giza Plateau)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The pyramid-shaped Danley SH-50

The truncated pyramid shape of the Wilson WATT

7558.1923.large.gif

And the Pyramid Blaster. Of course.

IMG_20130409_163206.jpg

For the last three years, this is basically how I watch TV. A 100" screen painted on the wall, with an Optoma HDTV projector. I have an 25cm deep shelf from Ikea beneath the screen. Due to the shallow depth, my speakers have be small. At the moment I'm using Kef UNI-Qs. I've also used Vandersteens, but they "dominate" the room due to their size. My Summas do that even more, and unfortunately my wife banished them to the garage :(

So the plan is to get something that's louder and more dynamic than the Kefs, but not as big as the Vandersteens or the Summas.

Surely, synergies cannot the be answer to "not as big as ....."

IMG_20140831_201417.jpg

IMG_20140831_201451.jpg

IMG_20140831_201504.jpg

Here's some pics of The Pyramid Blaster.
Each enclosure is half a cubic foot.

The trick is to limit the bandwidth; if you can live with an F3 of 350hz you can fit everything into an enclosure this small.

The midbass and the bass enclosures will be separate, and in different locations. (This will be an Opsodis array.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.