Just MLS cunfusion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2004, 03:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just MLS cunfusion

I have read thru the manual and still cannot figure out how to get MLS to do what I want it to do.

Measure an active three way loudspeakers frequency response.

How do you use the program to use the line input with a mic preamp for the input. As the speakers are active each drive unit has a separate amplifier so the way dictated for measurement wont work.

I thought that you could simply connect up a mic, hit measure and bam they would be measured. I use the computer anyway to play my music using the digital output so the speakers are connected to the output of the computer anyway.

When I click measure now what happens is I get a ruler flat response which corresponds to the soundcards response? I have built the wallin jig.

If anyone can offer any advice id be greatful. cheers Matt.
Old 15th January 2004, 08:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have the jig working with loudspeaker workshop and can measure the frequency response of single drivers, and their impedance. But not yet with MLS.

I cant write another essay like I normally do as I have some work to do!
Old 16th January 2004, 10:21 AM   #3
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Ummmm, I'm not sure if you are using speaker workshop or something else, but if you are getting ruler flat response, it could be that you have the reference channel selected and its the same as the mic (this happened to me the first time I tried using speaker workshop with a mic although I was using the sound cards mic input).

Go to options/prefferences/acoustic and turn off the reference channel and see if you get something more realistic. The reference channel should be in reality what is going into the speaker, and the other channel is the output from your mic preamp.

Tony.
Old 16th January 2004, 01:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ye I have speaker workshop working without any problems, its just MLS that causes the problem, I want to use the line input to measure not the mic, which the manual says use.

Also to do all the measuring it says you need to have the amp output connected to the soundcard in some way. How do you measure an active design?? As you have two or more amps used at the same time.
Old 16th January 2004, 09:40 PM   #5
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I haven't seen just MLS, but it sounds just like the problem I had with SW when the reference channel and the mic channel were being fed the same signal.

Are the amps Internal to the cabinets? If they are external then simply connect the amp to the input on the jig, connect the DUT connectors on the Jig to the speaker binding posts you want to test, and plug your mic preamp output into the mic input on the jig. You should be able to do the same in SW.

If the amps are internal to the cabinets with a single speaker terminal on the cabinet, then if the boxes are ported, you could disconnect the internal wiring and reconnect as I suggested above through the port. If sealed, it's going to be difficult!

OK I just downloaded the JustMLS demo and had a look at the manual.... When you did the measurement did you have the 2 channel mode box ticked? have you tried it both ways? If ticked it looks like you are supposed to subtract one channel from the other, elsewhere in the program, after doing the measurement.

Tony.
Old 17th January 2004, 02:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK cheers for the response Ill have a go. I thought that I could use the two channel mode as that used a line input channel for one of the microphones.

Hide this!Advertise here!