Tannoy Kingdom 18 replica, which 18" bass driver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2014, 09:01 PM   #1
EricFr is offline EricFr  French Polynesia
diyAudio Member

Default Tannoy Kingdom 18 replica, which 18" bass driver?

Hello

I am intending to biuld a replica of the Tannoy Kingdom 18, the first Kingdom produced from 1997 to 2004.

I had the rare chance to buy some years ago from an official dealer the 12" coaxial drivers, the super-tweeters and the original filters from Tannoy.

I have at last the opportunity to build the replicas I have in mind for years, but need some more informations about the bass drivers and internal volumes for each speakers.

I remember having read that the 12" coax midrange need a closed volume of about 40 liters.
Does anyone have more infos?

I am looking for a pair of the 18" bass drivers used by Tannoy in these speakers. I have heard they should be produced by FANE, but they seem to differ somehow from the Fame 18" drivers availlable today.

Does anyone have the info about these 18" references, brand....and how much volume they need.

The internal TOTAL internal volume of the speaker is 370 liters, but I guess the bass driver does not use it entirely.

By the way, what would you use to build the cabinets?
Are the plans availlable?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind help
Old 21st August 2014, 11:37 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

So you have the complete x/o network for all 4 drivers ?

Click the image to open in full size.

The original Tannoy Kingdom was a four-way dynamic design that utilized a
12-inch Dual Concentric™ driver, a SuperTweeter, and an 18-inch sub-bass
driver, resulting in a 92dB (2.83V @ 1m) overall sensitivity.

Good luck with the bass drivers, I suspect you'd need to mass
load the cone of a typical 18" driver to get to the low bass spec.

I'm not going to spend my time digging out details of the Kingdom.
Ask Tannoy for the 18" drivers specs, and cabinet specs
Old 22nd August 2014, 01:16 AM   #3
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Tannoy used the same bass driver in their B475 and (whatever the one with two 18's was called: B950?). Model number, if memory serves, was 4505 or something like that.

Trapped volume for the concentric doesn't matter.

Instead of doing a full replica, why not do an upgraded version? A current B&C or BMS 18 will be superior to the Tannoy one (I used to own a B475). Drive the bass with its own amp, and active filtering. Use the natural rolloff of the concentric as part of its highpass.
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ermm ..IF memory serves that Product was a Bust .. sales wise.
Telling that.
FEW Tannoys actually Need a deeper bass and the Supertweeter (is Useful) Jury is still out for lunch.
IMO yer barking up a long Dead tree.
Suggest going for a more successful (proven) Tannoy design... They are fairly plentiful.
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:06 AM   #5
EricFr is offline EricFr  French Polynesia
diyAudio Member

Thank you four your answers and advices.
I ALREADY have almost everything so I am obliged to build according to this design.

I also own a pair of ALtec 3182 18", do you think I can use them?
Should I modify the cross-over? It is 100Hz second order originally.

Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I agree with Pallas on this one.
There are better woofers although not necessarily cheaper but crossing it actively is a good idea. You can still use the passive for the DC and the supertweeter if you really must use one but level matching the woofer to rest becomes very easy and flexible.

It is a good idea to remove low bass from the DC as it cleans up the midrange quite a bit. Tannoy themselves have done this very successfully a number of times like in the FSM, FSM-U, Buckingham Monitor, 215DMT and the legendary Dreadnought besides the Kingdoms.
Old 23rd August 2014, 05:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

EricFr,
You can use the 18" Altec.
The sensitivity will be higher than 93dB, dropping down 4dB's from 2Pi to 4Pi.
Where is the xover (?) to see what was done with the mid section. Do you have it or is on paper?! Use a core inductor or trafo (better) for the Altec.
Old 23rd August 2014, 05:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Obvious, what I said for a passive xover. With active xover is not the same game.
Old 8th September 2014, 10:59 PM   #9
kneza is offline kneza  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I have Tannoy 12" SuperDual in 65L closed box, heavy damped with rigid fiberglass, sitting on JBL 4507 style cabinet with 15" JBL 2225 driver. Tannoy driver is the heaviest monster I've ever seen (circa 25Kg). Driving Tannoys with 300B SE and JBL with 200W transistor. So far the sound is promising with Tannoy m350 crossover and passive 120Hz 2nd order lowpass on JBL. Planning to upgrade caps in Tannoy crossover and to build active crossover for JBL.
Eric can you send me pictures and schematic of original crossover, I would like to try 1st order crossover on tweeter as in Kingdom 18.
Old 12th October 2014, 10:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Eric, good idea to build your own kingdom, i have the b475 and thinking to build a 300l enclosure i have also t300's and like to build kingdoms also, can you provide foto's and schematic of the crossovernetwork?
I think to stay with the original fane tannoy b475/ 4505 drivers it is safe in regard of the sensitivity thanks a lot

Hide this!Advertise here!