Gifted a VERY nice amp, need help matching DIY speakers, if possible! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2014, 05:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Gifted a VERY nice amp, need help matching DIY speakers, if possible!

I have exhausted myself with countless hours of internet search as well as forum searching, in an attempt to match a pair of DIY speakers to an integrated amp I just received, a Rogue Audio Sphinx hybrid.The amp, which is beautiful by all means, came my way via a friend in desperate need of immediate cash flow.The amp will be paired with my vintage Dual 1219 TT, it has a built in phono preamp and knowing my desire to put together a new system for my vinyl he made me a GREAT deal on this amp.So now I have a very old but mint condition TT, going into an amazing and modern amp, and the last part of the puzzle, speakers, which is where this thread actually needs to start.Whew.Noobs….

I have been focusing on a couple of Paul Carmody’s designs, and have been contemplating the Amiga, Core 2-way, and the one I favor most, the ZX-Spectrum. The amp is listed as having 100wpc at 8ohm, and output power is listed as 100wpc min (again, I have tried to understand all of this, and the more I research the more lost I become).My concern is that this will be too much amp for these speaker designs, I have read that the B&G tweeter in the ZX-Spectrum cannot handle this much rms wattage.

I have limited floor space, so I like the footprint of these speakers, and the room where they will be placed is quite small for now, they are to be placed in a larger room once my new home is completed.

I am capable of the DIY speakers, as long as the one I end up constructing is as clearly documented as Paul’s designs are.If there is a better DIY speaker out there that may suit my needs better, than by all means I would appreciate any recommendations.I am trying to keep this a low budget build, hence the DIY aspect.The TT was free, the amp came to me at a very low cost, and Paul’s speakers, in their price range, should keep me where I want to be in total cost.

I would appreciate any and all advice given, sorry for the long post, it comes after many hours/days spent researching and attempting to wrap my head around this entire project.I look forward to posting the build once I have some direction.
Old 18th August 2014, 06:53 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

"Too Much Amp" for a speaker is not usually an issue- the speaker will run out of steam, potentially, before the amp- but that's okay- speaker distortion is obvious and you know to turn it down where amp distortion can be more insidious.

I'd suggest looking at a few different options- you need a passive speaker which puts some things off limits, I'd recommend you look closely at

Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance (The 4pi and 7pi are the most interesting to me)

Fusion-12 DIY Sound Group (there's also a 15", which would also likely be a good choice)

Elusive 1099 Preorder DIY Sound Group This one seems really nice too- doubled bass locations has its advantages, and the spacing of the mid/tweet array has some advantages, though it may have some drawbacks too.

Any of these will provide extremely high output with the amp you have, as well as having plenty of extra breathing room.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
you need a passive speaker.
this sounds reasonable, the rest is Mr.Badman advice which may find some followers.
If you like P.Carmody's projects, go on and build a prototype (two...).
A 8" is already too big for domestic listening; 15 " diameter speakers and tweeters with horns are better for outside and P.A.
Old 18th August 2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
A 8" is already too big for domestic listening;
tweeters with horns are better for outside and P.A.
This simply is not true.

@Sneds1972 - Troels Gravesen's designs are excellent, do look at them.
Old 18th August 2014, 09:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

sneds1972:

Take a look on the Audio Asylum " for sale " under drivers--there is a Newform r45 line source speaker system complete for $1,200 complete.
Old 18th August 2014, 09:29 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Note that the 4ohm BG Neo 3 has
an 8 ohm attenuating resistor.

100W/8ohms = 66W/12ohms, and the tweeter
will only see a third of that, i.e. 22W at most.
In reality it never will see anything like 22W.

Nothing to worry about regarding the tweeter.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 18th August 2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 18th August 2014, 09:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, first off thanks for the fast reply. Troels Gravesen has some very nice stuff. That will be worth a serious look when I'm in my new house. Right now, I'm in a temporary (2-3 years?) location. I guess I'm looking for something smaller, around the size of Paul's designs, the Amiga size or smaller. I got the amp for next to nothing, I just wanted to make certain the speakers could handle to power this amp puts out, and last a few years. I certainly don't want to spend a lot on these speakers, just thought I may get more bang for my buck with DIY, rather than purchase something from the bigbox. My DIY skills are plenty to handle this, I'm just not up to par on speaker capacities/matching for the amp I have.
Old 20th August 2014, 04:05 AM   #8
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out a speaker with a super elliptical oblate spheroid (SEOS) waveguide and CD with pro audio woofer. Several variants are available with sealed or ported enclosures. The constant directivity, high efficiency, and flat response are very nice. Look at this one designed by Jeff bagby for example (37Hz to 20kHz +/-3dB, 98 dB sensitivity, 10-500 watts): Fusion-12 Tempest - Fusion Waveguide Kits DIY Sound Group
You can build the box and buy the CNC'd baffle and drivers/XO.

Last edited by xrk971; 20th August 2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 20th August 2014, 05:30 AM   #9
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out the N3 kit from GR Research: N3
Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Better having a 8 Ohm load, as two drivers in parallel make a 4 Ohm load.
That for the electrical side. For the "acoustical" side, I'm for single driver covering the assigned band.

Hide this!Advertise here!