looking for a replacement speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm needing to purchase a bunch of replacement speakers for a project, the old speaker is discontinued... and I'm not an audio or speaker person so I was looking for a little help, here's the spec's on the current speakers

It's the Tangent EVO EV4 Bookshelf Speaker
link: Tangent - EVO E4 bookshelf speaker

Specs:
System: 2 ways
Frequency range (+/- 3dB): 70 - 20000 Hz
Impedance: 4-8 Ω
Sensitivity: 85 dB
Max music power: 100 Watts
Recommended amplifier: 20-100 Watts
Terminal type: Single wiring
Terminal finish: Silver plated
Input: Speaker level
Internal wiring: 99,99% OFC
Enclosure: Closed box
Magnetic shield

Dimensions
With grill and terminal (W x H x D):
4.9 x 7.5 x 6.3" / 125 x 190 x 160 mm
With base and spikes (W x H x D):
4.9 x 7.5 x 6.3" / 125 x 190 x 160 mm

They were running this speaker with this amplifier:

Kenwood 350W KAC-5230
link: Kenwood - KAC-5203

This project is to be mounted on a bicycle, we're building a bracket to hold the speakers, and the amplifier, along with a 12V motorcycle battery to power the amplifier.

I don't know much about this stuff, but seems like the 350W amplifier was probably not a good match the with 100W speakers. I've gone on Amazon and found a bunch of speakers... I searched for outdoor speakers (cause it's on a bike),

like these:
Speaker 1

Speaker 2

Speaker 3

Speaker 4

Do these seem like good replacements?
Do these speakers require external power or is all that handled in the amplifier?
Does anyone know of a better amplifier that can run off 12V for this project?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, much thanks!

This project is to be mounted on a bicycle, we're building a bracket to hold the speakers, and the amplifier, along with a 12V motorcycle battery to power the amplifier.

As professional electrician I would say that your battery source is not strong enough for this project.
This amplifier needs max 24Ampere x 14.4V (cars voltage) you get your 350W of power.

And your speakers at 100W music power ... they are actually close to 50W RMS at 8 Ohm and close to 70W at four ohm (true watts), therefore this setup it can cooperate in a car, in which there is a generator to feed it.

Last edited:
So.... I'm thinking I can find an amplifier that runs off of 12V, let's say this speaker is 4ohms

can I get more than (12V*12V)/4Ohms= 36W per channel out of the amplifier? Basically, do these amplifiers amplify the DC voltage greater than the input voltage?

thanks!

Thanks. Does anyone know if these speakers I found on Amazon are close to the original EV4? I'm just looking for replacement speakers, and then I'll probably tackle getting a better amplifier for this project.

thanks!

None of the speakers that you found on Amazon will be the quality of the Tangent. (Sound Wise) But, I believe any of your choices would work for your situation. It just depends on the money that you want to spend..

Here's some speakers that are close to the Tangent..

Pure Acoustics Dreambox Compact Hi-Fi Speaker Pair Bordeaux

May I suggest an amplifier that I use daily. Inexpensive and very reliable! I run a pair of Jamo bookshelf speakers with it and there is plenty of volume..

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-808-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1408329048&sr=8-7&keywords=lepai

I can operate this amp on a 7aH. 12 volt sealed lead acid battery for several hours at more than normal levels. Has both RCA and 3.5mm inputs. Easy speaker connections and small in size.. (Treble, Base, and Volume controls) They send a power cord with the amp but you would need to crimp some female 1/4" tab connectors on the wires and be very certain that you have the polarity correct! (Center Positive)

A sealed lead acid battery would be safer than a flooded cell in your situation. No worries of spilling acid..

Amazon.com: Rechargeable 12V 7AH Sealed Battery: Electronics

Hope this helps..

When you mentioned that none of the amazon speakers I pointed out were of the same quality as the Tangent I'm trying to replace, is that just from experience and knowing these brands or could you tell from the specs? And the Pure Acoustic, have you heard these or do you know they are comparable to the Tangents from the specs?

thanks!

IMO..

Most often in the speaker world, money does "Talk". More money, better sound. Not always true but most often it is..

I never listened to the Tangents or the Pure Acoustics but by the price range, I figure that they both sound sweet! Specs are close. The Pure Acoustics have a smaller woofer than the Tangents but the wattage ratings are within 20 watts of each other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.