Up/Down Firing Omni - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2014, 06:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Up/Down Firing Omni

Hi guys.

So we got a glance into the new house the other day and the living room is much smaller than the old one. This of course means that my rather large open baffles will no longer be an option. Even my large-ish full range MLTL may not integrate well into the room.

To try and conserve space I was pondering about using 2 ~2-3" midrange drivers in a bi-polar/omni configuration (speakers firing towards the ceiling and towards the floor) from a suspended (possibly spherical) enclosure. Maybe add a front or front/rear pair of tweeters to solve the beaming issue. Or of course go straight front/rear bi-polar firing full ranges (possibly Mark Audio's or Fountek's).

The small full ranges will be supplemented with some kind of bass driver...that'll be up for design later.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 17th August 2014, 12:33 AM   #2
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

You just described the LxMini =)

New Linkwitz "LXmini" speakers
Old 17th August 2014, 12:13 PM   #3
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

in a small room try on- or next-to-wall Beveridge placement
Old 17th August 2014, 12:20 PM   #4
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
You just described the LxMini =)

New Linkwitz "LXmini" speakers
? not exactly
Old 17th August 2014, 12:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaf View Post
? not exactly
Not exactly no, but similar enough that the Pluto / LXmini is worth looking closely at for research purposes.
Old 17th August 2014, 12:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The LXmini does look interesting - I'm not sure why I didn't take a look at it when it first came out.

Any one have thoughts about omni/vertical bipole?
Old 17th August 2014, 12:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siruis815 View Post
The LXmini does look interesting - I'm not sure why I didn't take a look at it when it first came out.

Any one have thoughts about omni/vertical bipole?
Omni should always work, but with downwards firing not work as well because carpets will probably attenuate high frequency content. Upwards firing works though and sounds nice when done well, I have a pop box clone myself ( though it has been retired to make space for large dipoles that sounds even more nice )
Old 17th August 2014, 12:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

@graff - I had to look up the beveridge placement via google... it took me to the up firing floor coupled speaker thread. I've looked through there a few times before and I'll give it another good reading, although I'm not sold on having the speakers on the floor with two little kids running around. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion and again, I'll read through the thread.
Old 17th August 2014, 12:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siruis815 View Post
@graff - I had to look up the beveridge placement via google... it took me to the up firing floor coupled speaker thread. I've looked through there a few times before and I'll give it another good reading, although I'm not sold on having the speakers on the floor with two little kids running around. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion and again, I'll read through the thread.
You could always build a cage around them and cover it with acoustically transparent fabric. If I remade my omnis that is the number 1 thing I would do, the upwards mounted woofer collects lots of dust and I was always terrified I would drop something on them and break the speaker =)

It will look nicer too which is always a bonus.
Old 17th August 2014, 12:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

@OllBoll - definitely looking for something that takes a bit less floor space. My previous open baffles had an OB mid and monopole CD on one stand with 21" woofers on the ceiling. The new house doesn't have the real estate for such a thing.

With the high frequency content being attenuated by carpet and beaming at the ceiling, do you feel some "helper" tweeters will work?

Hide this!Advertise here!