Preferred speaker measurement software?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using ETF for room measurement applications, and have chosen LspCAD for filter design. From what I can tell, ETF doesn't provide the flexibility to do individual driver measurements in a format compatible with LspCAD. If I'm wrong, please do point me in the right direction.

I've done some research into LEAP (LMS), CLIO, and SpeakerWorkshop. Although the price is certainly right for SpeakerWorkshop, it doesn't seem to be compatible with LspCAD, and it looks to be rather cumbersome in general to work with. LEAP and CLIO are both supported by LspCAD, but I can't decide what advantages one might have over another. Perhaps an FFT/MLS measuring system is easier to accomodate without an anechoic room to work in?

I'm also curious about LspLAB, but haven't read much about it yet.

What software have you guys found to be the easiest to work with, yet (if possible) still accurate and powerful? Compatibility with LspCAD is a requisite... I know it also supports MLSSA and LAUD, but I haven't researched those yet either. Is there any consensus, or is it just "pick what you prefer"? Are there any clear advantages or disadvantages of any particular software that I should be aware of?

You know, I was almost sure that there was an LspLAB, but I can't seem to find any information about it now. I did see something however that I had not noticed before when researching filter/box design softwares - justMLS. Since it is free for registered LspCAD users, it seems logical that I should try it out first.

Any comments on its general abilities, accuracy, etc.?

LspCAD

LspCAD's measurement capabilities are just fine. You can't measure neither T/S parameters nor Capacitance/Inductance but the free demo of Praxis will do that for you. Just take some time to learn it and build a permanent jig.
I used justMLS with great success for frequency response and impedance measurements. I have a pro mic preamp and access to real measurement microphones though- B&K and Earthworks.
The justMLS code is solid. As long as you have a decent sound card with stable drivers you'll be fine.

I'm using an M-audio Dio 2496 soundcard, dbx 386 mic pre/ADC, and Behringer ECM8000 mic. I've read some of the tutorials for building a test jig, so that is obviously my next step. I'll see if justMLS is enough for what I need without buying another piece of software.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am using the Praxis and LspCAD pro but now that I am into it I would say for normal home use "JustMLS" from LspCAD should work great. Praxis is good but you probably don't need that many features and cost is a bit high (although much less than the other comparable options). Also remember that for audio you don't need a superhigh sampling rates so your card will be fine.

The LspCAD usergroup on Yahoo is very helpful for getting things figured out. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lspcad-users/

Luke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.