Mid range horn driver recommendations please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have been looking DIY Audio a lot but have not been posting. There is a wealth of information here.

I did a DIY turntable earlier in the year. It is a VPI Aries style plinth fabricated from a solid 2” thick piece of 6061 aluminum. With the platter and motor it weights well over 100 pounds.

This exercise is to up scale my speakers. I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus speakers with a 15” woofer. They will be converted to a 5.25 CF woofer cabinet, moving the K-1548 woofer to the top position and adding a 15” passive in the lower position. The horns will be relocated to above the Chorus cabinet. The woofers may be candidates for upgrade at a later time.

I have JBL 2405H tweeters to use and plan to use a JBL 2382a lenses for the mid which are a 120 deg X 40 deg bi-polar design.

The crossover, at least initially, will be a dBx DriveRack PA. That will let me dial it in. I may do something different later.

I will tri-amp. At present I have a rack full of Adcom GFA'a, 535's, 545's, 555 and a pair of 565 monoblocks which will drive the woofers. I recently acquired a Hafler XL-280 and am looking at Musical Concepts mods for it which would then be the amp for the mids. The preamp is an Adcom GFP-565 although a Musical Concepts upgrade is in the future here too.

The only thing missing is a mid driver. I have been looking at JBL 2440's and think that they may be ok. I have never heard any but have been scouring boards looking for info.

The woofers are crossed over at 650 Hz but I would like to lower that to closer to 500 Hz. The DriveRack is pretty useful here as it has a number of different filter types and slopes and can be readily adjusted for crossover freq.

As to sound, I like horns. A description of the 2440's as “smooth as butter” is why I am looking at them. Not just because I like butter either. :) I am looking for a distinct improvement from the Klipsch K-61-Ti horns that I am currently using.

What mid drivers sound as good as or better then the 2440's? Vintage is ok, as is new.

I am open to suggestions. TAD's are probably more than I want to spend. The price range is up to $1,000 for the pair.

Thanks!!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Look toward the Radian drivers. They seem to be the current midrange driver of choice.
The medium power range gets the best reviews for Hi-Fi. The Radian 850PB comes to mind.

I use Altec drivers, but that's just a personal preference. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.